Mystery Solved: Rear Wheel Cylinders 65-69 vs. 70-75

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The model years mentioned in the title of this thread call for different part numbers but all the specs (including hydraulic specs) are identical in each piece.

Today I attempted to replace a rear wheel cylinder on the '65 Formula S where a previous owner swapped in a 489 case 8 3/4 differential. Although the wheel cylinder indicated for the '65 looked identical to the wheel cylinder I removed, I ran into one subtle difference: The fastener bolt diameter in the cylinder I removed was 1/4" and the threaded holes for the '65 wheel cylinder are larger. Fortunately, I had ordered a pair of rear cylinders for each production period and found the 70-75 version has the smaller (correct for me) diameter threaded hole. Hopefully this information will help another Mopar brother some day.

Barracuda Valley Springs.jpg

Last edited:
Handsome indeed! Although it might look better with BCS or old WA plates with a PA dealer plate frame. Was there ever a Sequim Plymouth or Chimacum Chrysler?

Please post more pictures, please. I'll reciprocate, if needed. I have a 1970 Swinger 340 with the build sheet and fender tag. After a dozen years of being blown apart, I'm finally rebuilding her. Most parts came from my FABO family. I've never been screwed by any member of this site, FWIW. Paul.

Last edited:
Now another problem, this time working on a 1965 Plymouth Valiant Signet convertible where someone swapped in a 1974 Dodge Dart 7 1/4 rear end which now has 9 inch brakes (front of vehicle has factory 10 inch drums).

Based on the previously installed rear cylinder markings, I purchased two rear cylinders on ebay with the same markings which are "Wagner Lockheed" and an identical seven digit number. I installed one of the Wagner cylinders (from ebay) on the driver's side no problem. On the passenger side, I could not get the metal brake line to thread into the other Wagner (from ebay). I finally figured out the second wheel cylinder has a larger hole for the metal fuel line. Not what I expected to find when I thought I was purchasing two identical wheel cylinders.

In the first photo, one can see the two cylinders I removed from the vehicle on the left and center, and the new Wagner on the right with a larger brake line hole. The difference is diameter is about 1/16" (which would be 3/8" vs. 7/16").

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

Now another problem, this time working on a 1965 Plymouth Valiant Signet convertible where someone swapped in a 1974 Dodge Dart 7 1/4 rear end which now has 9 inch brakes (front of vehicle has factory 10 inch drums).

Based on the previously installed rear cylinder markings, I purchased two rear cylinders on ebay with the same markings which are "Wagner Lockheed" and an identical seven digit number. I installed one of the Wagner cylinders (from ebay) on the driver's side no problem. On the passenger side, I could not get the metal brake line to thread into the other Wagner (from ebay). I finally figured out the second wheel cylinder has a larger hole for the metal fuel line. Not what I expected to find when I thought I was purchasing two identical wheel cylinders.

In the first photo, one can see the two cylinders I removed from the vehicle on the left and center, and the new Wagner on the right with a larger brake line hole. The difference is diameter is about 1/16" (which would be 3/8" vs. 7/16").

View attachment 1715935156

View attachment 1715935157

View attachment 1715935158

View attachment 1715935159
Wow...

Were the wheel cylinders you bought in the original Wagner boxes.

be careful with bore size on wheel cylinders when swapping axles or other brake parts.

I'd use the size that came on the car.

I am 99% convinced Mopar used wheel cylinder/caliper bore size to proportion the system.

Changing the ratio can cause "interesting" issues.

Using the casting numbers to identify wheel cylinders can be problematic. Sometimes the manufacturers use the same castings to make several wheel cylinders. The cylinder housing may have a different bore or the brake line fitting could be a different size but the casting number would be the same. To be sure to get the right part, you need the actual part number. Look at this link for the wheel cylinder you need. NOS NIB Wagner Wheel Cylinder FD34876/FD49333 | eBay

"Sigh" I sure miss the days when we had REAL parts books that listed REAL specs. For about 15 years in 74 on I worked at two stores. The last was a big store. We had HUGE binders for Bendix, Raybestos, Wagner on brake parts alone. Back then you could EG look up individual cups and parts out of wheel cylinders and masters. And we carried a lot of them. You could "find out" stuff just by READING, and asking the "old guys." This store went into business (now long gone) in 31. "Old Nick" went to work there in 32. So when I showed up around ? 81, ? he'd worked there for 50 years.

We sold all kinds of stuff.
Full line of auto and light truck parts
Sold popular diesel parts like popular air brake components and tubing/ hose, and trailer shoes, turbos, popular injectors, etc.
We were factory dist. for Fafnier, Timken bearings, Wix filters, CR seals and Victor gaskets and seals and I don't know what else
We were dist for Browning drive products, sprockets, sheaves, and dist for Gates belts
We made hydraulic hoses by the hundreds, turned drums and rotors, changed axle bearings, relined truck and other brake shoes and winch bands
We had a completely separate Miller welder dealership and repair, and handled bottled gases
We sold chain and rigging, chokers, wire rope up through 1"
WE MADE a few pair of big industrial tire chains when we didn't have them. Stocked all kinds of tire chain parts, side chain, cross chain and hooks and latches
We were a dist for Proto tools and later SK and later, Armstrong
Before the boss retired, he started the town's first real dedicated Fastener's store

-
Back