Mystery wire(s) help

-

SoCal mopar

Mopar Dude
Reaction score
72 dart swinger

Just installed new autometer gauges…

Tore out an aftermarket stereo…

I’m cleaning up after a previous owner….

These wires have me stumped. I have the wire diagrams but can’t find what they are doing. They are behind the stereo. Joined Pink and red come from behind the dash. Different Pink goes passenger side. Useable red joins a resister(?) and goes into a wire group to the driver side.

The pink has a male and female fitting - always hot

I think this should go to the light switch but after my gauge replacements I don’t have a loose wire?

The red is fused 3amp and goes to a small black …. Resister? Never hot

The red and pink to female fitting is hot all the time.

A red wire should be the lighter which would be a full time hot, but the fused red is never hot? And the red and pink don’t show in my schematic? Red and pink to lighter?

I am going to frame these schematics when I’m done. Thanks in advance guys.

IMG_6658.png

IMG_6657.png

IMG_6656.jpeg

Last edited:
I notice you’re using 1972 diagrams which is better than nothing or 3rd party diagrams that are almost useless. Have you been able to get 1973 diagrams? Try mymopar for a 73 manual.

Those diagrams are aftermarket, and while useful because they can be easier to follow, are not as detailed as they should be. Run over to MyMopar.com and download the 72 service manual. That manual, and several others there, are over there because of a few of us here.

In the 1972 Plymouth manual, see page 8-148, looks like that pink stuff is part of the map light stuff and one may be the cigar lighter

72pink.jpg

Last edited:
I didnt think about the manual, I will download it now. Love your work 67Dart273 - read multiple posts of yours.

Map light wiring . Hooks into the dome light door switch circuit.
I might be wrong but pretty sure .

The bare red sticking out with the white object looks like non factory inline fuse holder?

pink wire feeds the map light from hot wire to the cigar lighter. There's a patch that is part of the optional light group option.

pink wire feeds the map light from hot wire to the cigar lighter. There's a patch that is part of the optional light group option.
I have been looking at the manual all night. The map light is the one wire i don't remember seeing. I dont see how a patch would work that far down the line though. The map light switch is near my left knee under the dash. This hot wire is behind the radio, and the map light is under the glove box....

The fused red 18g wire????:BangHead:

I am slowly putting the pieces together.

Thanks for all your guys help so far!

Last edited:
The sole pink wire on my '72 Duster harness fed power to the glove box light...

you must mean the map light switch is by your left knee - isn't the light itself all the way over under the glove box??? It is supposed to be there for the passenger to see the map! Anyway on my 70 Darts there is an accessory light package harness. In the service manual the accessory harnesses are on a separate diagram. Usually the cigar lighter connection is a right angle plug that fits over a threaded post on the back of the lighter. The accessory harness has a similar plug, like the one in your picture, and there is a side wire that has a threaded post for the cigar lighter right angle connector so that both run off the same power source. I can't easily get to my harness under the dash (AC) or I'd take a picture

1722009743338.png

The number after the dash is the wire size, and the letters indicate the color. Think: cigar lighter draws a lot of current, so it gets a 16ga wire and is Pink.
Glove box light draws almost nothing so it gets a 20ga wire and is also Pink. Seat belt light is Yellow but it's brighter and draws more so it's an 18ga, map light switch is Brown, and so on.

Remember: Smaller number is bigger wire.

The first numbers/letters are locations so you don't have visually follow a line around. M5 connects with M5 on the other end, and so on. You can just jump to what you need.

If Chrysler didn't need 16ga where 18ga would work, you bet your *** they're gonna save that money.

Completely agree:

orange is ash tray light.

Pink is lighter.

Red fused was wired into the radio mess and grounded. Removed….

I am going to have to find out where the pink male from the middle of the lighter wire goes. Taped up and labeled for now.

I can’t find the pink/red 90* female on the diagram? I know both come from the fuses as red or pink, but nothing shows together? Constant hot? Old-original stereo wire?

IMG_6659.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
My money is the gizmo is an RF choke to reduce radio interference on an aftermarket radio. Trace where the wires come from going into the gizmo.

-
Back