Napa 103228X

-

ronw

Reaction score
Installed the Napa timing chain on our 68 dart 340. After it was installed it had at least a 1/4" play on each side. Has anyone else used this chain with the same play? What chain should I use?

By chance was your block align bored at some time? If so your crank will be deeper in the saddle and closer to the cam making the timing chain slack.

Install a chain tensioner from a Magnum engine and call it good

20170828_185010.jpg

The rubbing blocks do indeed wear....
But that chain does not sound right...or the crank centerline is off.

The wear pad on the tensioner is a special grade of nylon (nylon 4/6) and made for these types of applications.

By chance was your block align bored at some time? If so your crank will be deeper in the saddle and closer to the cam making the timing chain slack.
I'm almost sure that it was not.

Can't believe you guys are using those edelbrock timing chains.

Amazing where some of you decide to "save" money.

Who said Edelbrock?
The pictures that are posted in this thread of timing chains, they are all edelbrock gears, aka corner parts store crap.

Anything with "S-402" "front" is the same chain you get from autozone,o reilys,edelbrock, pioneer, enginetech.
They stretch mucho, high spring pressures will increase the rate of stretch. Stock stuff is fine, but won't last as long nor hold have the stability.

If you're buying a cam and all that...dont skimp. Billet gears and a good chain, important stuff. I've reused a good gear and chain set from motor to motor. I've thrown away more of those cheapo chain than I can remember.

Buy a ten$ioner to go with that cheap $et....or just buy a good 100.00 version.

Last edited:
Cloyes has .005 and .010 shorter versions of their 9-3103 Race True Roller sets.

This is the correct fix for a block that has been align bored.

They make the sprockets a little larger in diameter. They must be used as a set.

This is the correct fix for a block that has been align bored.

They make the sprockets a little larger in diameter. They must be used as a set.

I recall that it was a reliable source, but don't remember who, when or where. (Possibly Cloyes.) But I believe that the difference is made up by the chain length, not the sprockets. They sell replacement shorter chains. If the sprockets were different, they would have used the same chain as standard sets.

I recall that it was a reliable source, but don't remember who, when or where. (Possibly Cloyes.) But I believe that the difference is made up by the chain length, not the sprockets. They sell replacement shorter chains. If the sprockets were different, they would have used the same chain as standard sets.
The block has not been align bored. What is a quality chain set to use without these problems?

The last comp cams one I bought was really bad, like 3/4 slop on one side, sent that junk back.

Congratulations on your IHRA win.

That's what I was taught but if wrong I stand corrected. I just want people to know that the manufacturers do make timing chain sets to fix the problem. The chain tensioner is not the only way.

-
Back