Need 8 1/4 pics and info

-

Mopardude

Reaction score
I did more bone yard scavenging today and by accident I found an old farm that was turned into a junk yard. I found mid 60's 4 door valient with a slant with a manual tranny. I couldn't get under it to tell what rear end it has. I also found a not to shabby looking scamp with a slant with auto tranny. I can't crawl under this car enough to id the rear end well enough either but from what I can tell it doesn't really look like a 7.25. I need to go back with a jack to have a closer look. Is there any possibliities that either car may have an 8 1/4 or am I wasting my time going back? I know what a 7 1/4 looks like and I know what a 8 3/4 looks like. I have never seen an 8 1/4 could someone send me a pic of one so I have something to go off of other than counting bolts?.

Ahem, may I present The Rear End Guide. Brought to you courtesy of Hot Rod Magazine. :D

I think basically you are looking for a bolt on rear cover and 3" axle tubes. :wink:

And the pic...

p113597_image_large.jpg

Oh, if you get the axle, make sure you get the U-bolts and the shock mounting plates. The ones on your 7-1/4" won't fit.

Very good I added it to mine as well! This looks very promising the scamps pumkin cover looked more roundish what i could see of it. It just might be worth going back and checkin out better.

You did catch the first sentence, "8-¼ axle debuted in the ’69 model year", right? So that mid-60's car is probably not a candidate.

I was hoping that guide would have more info on Barracuda340S' avatar. :shock: That's got to be a sure grip. Uuuuhhhh, where was I? Oh yeah, nice guide. That will be handy. Ray

The 8.25 has more bolts on back cover than the 7.25.
you should also be able to see the sheer mass difference between the two housings.

-
Back