Need advice on where in So. Cali. to find an LA360/TF to swap into my 65 273 Valiant

-

Litz

Reaction score
I'm thinking of swapping out my 273/904 for a 360/TF into my 65 Valiant and not sure where to look for a good engine/trans at a fair price. I live in Ventura County. (Simi Valley) Any tips are appreciated. Thanks, Litz

Are you looking for a turn key motor and trans (freshly rebuilt)? Or are you looking for a motor and trans that you want to have rebuilt?

Are you looking for a turn key motor and trans (freshly rebuilt)? Or are you looking for a motor and trans that you want to have rebuilt?
Looking for a decent running engine/trans to do the swap. I'll add headers, and a 4bbl. intake for now and later on probably do a build.

In that case, this combo sounds like a decent candidate... (Not mine)

360 Dodge engine/ Torqueflite transmission
Yeah, I saw that on craigslist. Also thought I'd look for a running car,truck, or van with that combo. A few months ago I ran across a half dozen "Drivers" for under 800.00 but haven't seen anything like that in a while. Might go ahead and put a TF behind the 273 so at least I can get the 8.75 rear in, frames tied, mini tubs, etc.

Yeah, I saw that on craigslist. Also thought I'd look for a running car,truck, or van with that combo. A few months ago I ran across a half dozen "Drivers" for under 800.00 but haven't seen anything like that in a while. Might go ahead and put a TF behind the 273 so at least I can get the 8.75 rear in, frames tied, mini tubs, etc.

I'd consider putting a later beefed up 904 in there unless your ok with "massaging" the floor pan. Also takes less hp to run. Either way, you can still get your 8.75 in and get your connectors and m-tubs in.

I'd consider putting a later beefed up 904 in there unless your ok with "massaging" the floor pan. Also takes less hp to run. Either way, you can still get your 8.75 in and get your connectors and m-tubs in.
Is there a "Preferred" year for the later 904? If I go with a later 904 I want to make sure I can get a good convertor for it. Thx for the info.

Also, if you get the motor from a truck, the oil pan and pickup will need to be changed from a rear sump to a center sump, and a 360 is by itself oil pan-wise, 273/318/340 will not fit.

Two weeks ago I bought a low mileage 300hp 5.9 crate motor out of Riverside off of Craigslist, had been on there for months...I have disassembled it cause owner said the crank got nicked while upgrading the pistons and rods...going to get crank turned and put new rod and main bearing it....Got a good deal on it..
does not have stock magnum valve springs or valve seals on it either...

so they are out there...just gotta keep looking....

-
Back