Need cam help for 340 Duster

-

jfarr1970

Reaction score
Hi guys...new to Mopar...have 70 duster with 340...needs to be rebuilt. what would be good cam option to go street/strip? Motor was done .30 over years ago, intake and carb missing. Any ideas on intake and carb set up? Thanks for your help!

Heads? What is your performance goal?

A decent set up with stockish J heads is a Comp XE268H or equivalent with an LD340/RPM/AirGap intake with headers. Should be in the 325-340HP range with a good tune up and 9.5:1 static compression.

I like 750 vac sec Holley or a 750 DP the same size, especially if a 4 speed. A 340 with auto will usually like a bit more converter than the stockers provide. A nice 2500-3200 one would work really good.

Figure out what you want to do, know your goal, before buying a bunch of parts that may not work.

Thanks for your help. This car was a former drag car from 76-82 from Ct. Original 340 survived but missing parts. Want to restore the car to that time period as close as I can and get to the track for occasional runs like musclepalooza or a mopar only day. Other than that, go to Lake George, NY in Sept and go crazy with all the other Mopar guys I met up there. Original owner told me the car had steep gears..513's with an auto tranny with a theroquad and 1 and 7/8 headers. The old photos of the car were just awesome. Have original window sticker and build sheet that survived. Thanks again!

If the heads aren't off or look in the spark plug hole, to see what you have for pistons. Pop ups will make street driving difficult. Once you know the baseline you are working with, you can make a good decision about parts choice direction.

5.13's... they didn't twist it too hard. LOL I hope you are changing that out.

You have a good pic of the broadcast sheet. Always interested in 340 car info.

The car is being bead blasted this coming week so I can see what sheet metal I need other than floors. This is a big project for me so I look for advice from you guys in here for parts, resources and just plain knowledge. Thanks for taking the time, I'm going to bring your info to the engine builder. And yes I'm planning on changing the 513's. I'm told the best time this car ran with that set up was an 11.91 @ 115 at Englishtown in 1982. I don't see myself or my son as a weekly racer but I do want to honor the history of the car and try to preserve the car the best I can. Thanks again!

-
Back