Need engine builder recommendation, Milwaukee area preferred

-

BlueSwinger

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I'd like to get a motor built this winter. I have a '70 340 or a '74 360 to work with. More likely than not, I'll go with the 340. It's real clean, complete, but needs going through. It won't be a crazy build, just a bit better than stock with increased air flow. Shooting for the ~400hp range probably.

So, I haven't been in this area long, so I don't know where to go. Any recommendations? Company or private individual with references might work.

Just looking for a good balance of quality (a good builder with Mopar small block experience) and price (don't want to spend a fortune). In other words, of the three: "Good, Cheap, Fast", I'll go without the "Fast".

Prefer Milwaukee, but could take it to northern IL (not Chicago) or elsewhere in Southern Wisconsin if necessary.

Also, how much should I expect to pay for this? Obviously it depends on what parts I go with, and what all it needs, but I mean just labor for a basic rebuild assuming nothing goes horribly wrong.

Thanks...

Mel Clausing at C&S in Butler, He did my race stuff for years good guy fair prices and good work.

I'd like to get a motor built this winter. I have a '70 340 or a '74 360 to work with. More likely than not, I'll go with the 340. It's real clean, complete, but needs going through. It won't be a crazy build, just a bit better than stock with increased air flow. Shooting for the ~400hp range probably.

So, I haven't been in this area long, so I don't know where to go. Any recommendations? Company or private individual with references might work.

Just looking for a good balance of quality (a good builder with Mopar small block experience) and price (don't want to spend a fortune). In other words, of the three: "Good, Cheap, Fast", I'll go without the "Fast".

Prefer Milwaukee, but could take it to northern IL (not Chicago) or elsewhere in Southern Wisconsin if necessary.

Also, how much should I expect to pay for this? Obviously it depends on what parts I go with, and what all it needs, but I mean just labor for a basic rebuild assuming nothing goes horribly wrong.

Thanks...
Green Bay is only 2 hours away, I had mine built at Baril Engine here in Green Bay.
OR THE BEST IN WI would be Kilpatrick's but they are $$$$$$$ Mopar's only,Or you could talk to Brian @ IMM engines, he really knows his stuff.

Thanks, I will look into those also. I've actually heard some not so great things about Kilpatrick, so I was going to shy away anyway, but I was unaware of the $$$$.

I know this is an older post, but others might want a "Good Guy Alert" from that area.

I have a friend I was stationed with that lives in Janesville, Wi. He opened up " Papa T's Muscle Car Restorations." Started small and is working at it to grow. Had some problems with a Dodge Demon with a 6-pack on a 340. I went up there to "dial it in" with him, and he told me about a guy That does all his engine work for him, (Norm) that worked for 20 years at a Machine Shop ( NAPA I think) before they closed. When Napa was closing their doors, Norm bought a lot of the equipment they had before closing and opened his own shop.

We drove over there, and at that time, he had 5-7 Hemis in various Challengers, B-bodies, and Darts. Had his own paint shop in 1 of his garages too.

He goes by KollarNorman on E-bay. His feedback for over 1600 transactions is 100%. His E-bay store is Norms Speed Shop. Contact Norm by phone @ 1-212-751-7063. You can also do a search on E-bay for his other contact info, or ask around the area. I'd drive from here-6 hours to have him do all my machine work!:thumbup:

one of the premier engine builders in souther wisconsin is kilpatrick http://kilpatrickengine.com/

They are good if I ever build up another high powered engine again I will probably go with them. The engine currently in my car I had done at Powerbuilt in Burlington they were ok to but they are more into building circle track motors. Kilpatrick's are all serious drag racing/mopar guys you get a positive vibe when you talk to any of those guys about your car or engine or what ever.

Mel Clausing at C&S in Butler, He did my race stuff for years good guy fair prices and good work.

Wait, Clint and Mel are brothers? I didn't know that. They did our Caddy 472 and my dad's ford 370. The 47(8 now) is a beast. But the transmission is wonky so I haven't been able to drive it to it's full potential.

That's where I'm taking my 360...eventually.*

*I need money. donations welcome. :D

Wait, Clint and Mel are brothers? I didn't know that. They did our Caddy 472 and my dad's ford 370. The 47(8 now) is a beast. But the transmission is wonky so I haven't been able to drive it to it's full potential.

That's where I'm taking my 360...eventually.*

*I need money. donations welcome. :D

Clint and Mel are Father and Son !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks...

So where did you go and how did it turn out?

t7bpermance out of monroe wi did my heads on my 340 and they do a lot of mopar stuf good prices to give them a call

Not really in the Milwaukee area but Westech Automotive in Silver Lake. The shop is primarily Mopar. He had a room full of Viper V10's when I was there he was building. And tons of Mopars in the shop. He ended up doing a set of 440 heads for me and was relatively cheap compared to others. A buddy of mine had a 340 short block done there as well. Good luck

http://www.westechauto.com/

Lam Engines
(262) 859-3137
11711 38th St, Kenosha, WI53144

This is a second generation family shop that has turned out many engines for us over the years. Dependability, horsepower and knowledge second to none in the area.

-
Back