Need Headers Installed in Boston

-

Dart Chief

Reaction score
I live in the western suburbs of Boston and I need to find someone to install a set of TTI headers. Any referrals would be appreciated.

Can't help you with a referral but if you find someone, it's gonna cost big bucks. There's a whole lotta time involved. If the car is a 4 speed some z-bar modification will be required.
If you have a garage, a buddy, and 1 of you can follow instructions, I say go for it.
You won't get it done in a day but you will eventually get it done.
I've done 2 sets now, both A body 4 speeds. It ain't easy or fun but a weekend will get it done
I'll betcha a shop would charge you OVER 500 bucks. Probably way over.

Dont let a shop rake you with it. I had headers installed in my car for about $125 last year when I couldnt get to it myself. With the lift the right tools they did it in a couple hours. Basically translated into about 2hrs labor because I supplied the parts. Just make sure it's a reputable shop and you should be ok...TTI's are probably the easiest headers to install too. (easy being a relative term) I'd second Ironmike though and think about tackling it myself first.

I did Doug's on mine and TTI's on a buddies Swinger. Both about the same. A lift would do wonders as far as time involved. Both Z-bars needed the inner arm cut off, repositioned inward and rearward. TIG'd em back together and good to go.
Also you'll be cutting the "ears" off your bellhousing. No big deal.

Don't forget you also have to drop the front suspension. Either company will be happy to mail you the instructions to check out before you dive in.
Don't expect either one to admit the z-bar thing. Search this forum for tips in that issue.

All true! However I think TTI has finally succumbed to a "blurb" about the Z-bar on their website if I'm not mistaken? I think I saw it last time I was checking out headers and was pleasantly suprised! Of course it reads something like "...may interfere with z-bar on manual transmission vehicles..." so it's not a FULL admission of the issue...

Hey,

I'm about 1.5 months late seeing your post. I live on the North Shore and had a guy do my Doug's for fairly reasonable. Sutton Street Service in North Andover. Ask for Chip. He's been racing for years and has 3 Darts he looks after (including mine).

Pete

-
Back