need help,car dies,then starts right back up

-

jdsduster

Reaction score
need help guys.i know its my only non mopar car(2000 impala 3.8)it will just die and then it will start back up.it shows no codes.here is what ive done.replaced fuel pump and filter(50 psi with key on)replaced fuel pump regulator,plugs and wires.it has a miss also,i assume the miss is related to it dying.again it shows no codes,no check engine light.its my daughters car and she needs it to get to school.what should i check or look for?i really need to get it fixed but am kinda stumped

there if one for the key but dealer said that would not cause the problem i am having

My buddy had a 2000 buick with same problem it ended up being his crank trigger electronic sensor went on and off drove him crazy, would do it then start right up and run for days and then just stop running again so we towed it to the shop and the guy found the problem and somehow the mechanic "hotwired" it and its still running never misses a lick! So check that

My buddy had a 2000 buick with same problem it ended up being his crank trigger electronic sensor went on and off drove him crazy, would do it then start right up and run for days and then just stop running again so we towed it to the shop and the guy found the problem and somehow the mechanic "hotwired" it and its still running never misses a lick! So check that

i wonder if the crank position sensor is the same?if its 73 and older i can fix it,newer cars and im lost

With the miss and the random shut off and restart you are more than likely going to find it is either the camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. Other than waiting for it to get bad enough to throw a code or hooking up an ocilliscope to it to look for an irregular pattern you are going to have to replace them. I would start with the camshaft sensor as they usually will be the first failure. Not sure if Chevy is a picky about their sensors as Chrysler is but on a Chrysler I will only use an oem. There are a lot of out of the box failures with the cheap auto parts store ones that can have you chasing a phantom problem due to a defective new part

-
Back