Need Help- Fuel System Issues

-

74 DART'

Reaction score
Looking for some help with my car. Its my 74 Dart- 225 1BBL. Its my daily driver and has been giving me some trouble lately. Seems to run good when its cold outside/ on the way to work, drive roughly 20 miles each way. But on the way home i get caught in a lot of stop and go traffic. The problem im having is the car will stall sometimes i can feel it starving for fuel sometimes it just stalls. Try to restart it turns over but doesn't restart. Pull the air cleaner work the accelator pump sometimes it squirts some times nothing. Grabbed fuel line its very warm and so is filter. Also noticed bubbles rising into clear fuel filter. Thinking maybe fuel is boiling??? is that even possible? Loosened the line from the fuel pump has pressure, ok getting fuel this far, removed fuel filter turn over pumping fuel from line, ok getting fuel to carb maybe float or some other carb issue. Filter seems to be free can blow through it ok. Fill up carb bowl with fuel fires up and makes it home. Has done this same basic scenario three or four times in the past couple months. Ok now some history info, i know i have some trash/rust in the fuel tank sender is pretty rusty and clogs up fuel filter every couple months. Added a extra filter at gas tank- line comes out of sender goes through filter then to pump then through fiter then carb. Replace rubber hose from tank to steel line, also rubber hose from line into fuel pump, replaced fuel pump 1 year ago, added a piece of rubber hose over steel line where it runs over water pump just for a litlle insulation. Running a carter 1bbl but just got a holley 1920 from a member here so will be swapping that soon. If anyone has any ideas please let me know , this is my only ride to work right now so i have to keep it going. Thanks in advance J.R.

OK so we have over 3000 views and 250 replies to Dumba$$ topic Toyota sucks or whatever but nobody knows about real life problem with a 74 slant six! WTF!!!

From reading your post, I think that you've already diagnosed your own problem; the sending unit. If there is rust in the sending unit or the tank it will plug the pick-up tube on the sender, not to mention the sock filter.
You need to pull the sender and make sure it's clear and that there is no restriction in the pick-up caused by the rust, it doesn't take much to plug it completely. You may need to replace the sender and the sock on the end of it and you really need to get the crud out of the tank.
BTW, adding a filter between the tank and the inlet side of the pump is not a good idea, too much restriction for the pump.

You didn't say, but does the filter between the pump and the carb have 2 nipples or 3, by 1974 Chrysler was using a third fitting on the filter for a return line to the tank as a remedy for vapor lock due to the higher operating temperatures on emission controlled engines.

Thanks for the reply. Yes i know the rust is a problem but i am not running the sock anymore and i had just inspected the sending unit the last time i had a problem it was clear. I have ran a filter before the pump in the past without a problem but i can see where it puts more stress on the pump. I have the 2 fitting standard filter on mine. I think i am going to reroute the fuel line as ive seen some guys do, to see if that helps. Thanks again for the reply!!

i had this problem on several darts with 6cyls in my time. 3 of the four times it was the line resting on the block where it comes across the front of the engine heating up. it would stop the flow (create a bubble, vacumme, etc.) each time i rerouted the fule line and that was the fix. I would try that 1st!
Good luck!

Yeah im hoping thats it. Makes sense as it only happens when the engine gets hot or stuck in traffic. Thanks

-
Back