Need help getting a title

-

challenger57

cuda57
Reaction score
I bought a car 8-9 years from a woman that was left in the barn where she living. She did not know who it belonged to or what it was. It turned out to be a 74 challenger set up for 1/8 mile drag racing. I did a stolen/ salvage check and it came back neg. I now want to get a title so I can sell it. I tried to sell local but no title no sale. I have heard of people doing a history check of sorts to find out previous owners. Has anyone done that for their ride. I tried listing in forebodiesonly but no luck. Any help appreciated.

not sure how the laws are in PA, but here in MI, you would go to the secretary of state and apply for an "abandoned vehicle title"
they will run all the necessary checks on the car to ensure there is no one else claiming this case and you can title it in your now

every state is different. I would contact your states DMV head office, and ask the routes to be taken. usually several options.

not sure how the laws are in PA, but here in MI, you would go to the secretary of state and apply for an "abandoned vehicle title"
they will run all the necessary checks on the car to ensure there is no one else claiming this case and you can title it in your now

Yup...I would just check with your DMV. Pretty sure in AZ you would fill the forms out for an abandoned vehicle. Takes a couple of months or so before a title is issued. From what I was told...from a somewhat unreliable source...here in Washington state you would need to contact the Highway Patrol...they would search for the previous owner...can't find him/her the Highway Patrol comes with a wrecker and disposes of it...

You are correct sir. It would be unreliable. They are called state troopers here in Washington. You would need to see them and have the vehicle identification number inspected by them at some point. But they wont dispose of it. They would impound it if stolen. You however are not on this side of the continent and will definitely need the advise from your local constabulary. Make some phone calls and I bet you'll be on the right path before the end of the day.

You however are not on this side of the continent and will definitely need the advise from your local constabulary. Make some phone calls and I bet you'll be on the right path before the end of the day.

he's in York PA, as in Pennsylvania

Yes sir, I understand. Hense my statement about being on the other side of the continent (that being the U.S.A.) and my profile showing that I'm in the Pacific North West and he is in PA as his profile shows. They are on opposite sides aren't they? Did I screw up and miss something? Thanks.

This can turn into a real PITA based on my experience. I've got a 65 mustang fastback that I bought 8 years ago from the original owner. I have his bill of sale. I have had possession of the car the entire 8 years. I have tried multiple times over the years to get the car put into my name with no success. DMV is now requiring a notarized signature from the seller... Whom I cannot seem to locate any more. The only snag is that the car was in his name as well as his dad's name. His dad has been dead for decades.

take car to different state i have done this in colorado and az with success

John Parkinson of New York state can make magic happen for you. It will cost you $256. Google is your friend.

or " buy " your car from somebody in Ga. have a bill of sale, Ga is a non title state on these old cars. depends on how your state recognizes paperwork from Ga. ...... ya ask THEM!??????

Try Elsie Title Service 941-486-0800 Helped me out with a 64 Healey 3000 title about $250

i can appreciate everyone here wanting to help ole challenger57 with his title problem. sadly, i must strongly report and caution that every bit of advice here about "going to another state" or "contacting this guy and he will make it happen" are ILLEGAL in the state of Pennsylvania!

any act to obtain a title from another state for a vehicle "residing in" and "owned by" a pennsylvania resident would be considered a fraudulent act under the pennsylvania criminal code - and a felony. if you come to pennsylvania and "remain here with the intention to permanently reside in this state" for a period of more than six months, pennsylvania considers you to be a "pennsylvania resident." as such, you must obtain a pennsylvania driver's license and register and license all road vehicles in this state. if you move into PA, you can continue to drive a vehicle with "out of state plates" but when those plates expire, you must "re-register" the vehicle in PA. PA is a "Northern State in love with taxes" and thus the requirement to title, license and pay tax on ALL vehicles in the state.

challenger57 has only ONE "legal" option for his title problem here in PA: he must contact the PA State Police and have them come and look at his car (or take the car to an official PA VIN number inspection station). the "authorities" will run a numbers check to see if the car has been stolen. if nothing comes back, challenger will be able to apply for a clear PA title. he will have to provide some proof verifying the purchase and a purchase price (for tax purposes). if challenger can do that, getting a correct and legal PA title for his car should not be a problem. once he has a PA title in his name, he will be able to sell the car. while all of this will be a pain, having a good title for this car will make it worth more money - and it will take away all questions from a potential buyer.

challenger... if you have further legal questions... send me an email at jimharvard at aol dot com... good luck...

-
Back