Need help taking apart a 67 Barracuda grill

-

g413

Reaction score
I need to remove the grill panel, grills, headlight bezels, etc. The center part looks pretty easy. Looks like 2 small bolts on the L & R top sides of the grill panel (they look hard to get to). But what's on the bottom?

I was hoping to pull as much as possible off in one piece, but it looks like the headlights are mounted to brackets on the radiator crossmember.

Maybe there is "how to" printed somewhere on how to take the whole thing off.

First of all, I think I need to remove the bumper. While on the subject of bumpers, are they supposed to be that close to the outer grill trim? Mine are practically touching.

View attachment IMG_1769.jpg

Screws(5 I think) on outer surrounds to remove surrounds. For the larger grill you can feel studs n nuts if you pop the hood and reach under.

Your bumper shouldnt be that close to the grills. Chk for bent brackets underneath.

I've done it 2 ways. I think anyone would have to do both and decide for themselves which was easiest. For me, removing the entire header panel was easiest. You would need to remove that bumper. It needs loosened and realigned anyway. Putting the header panel back in between the fenders without scaring paint isn't easy.
Regardless how you go about it, Just know that rusted hardware is everywhere.
The little stabilizers at the ends of the bumper are additional biotches .

View attachment 68 header panel.jpg

View attachment 68 grill section.jpghi g413...

67,68,69 barracuda grills are all very similar. i finished restoring my 68 last year and am starting on my 69 this year.

taking the header panel off with the grill sections intact is not difficult. there are two 3/8 (i believe) hex head bolts on the top and bottom left and right side sections of the header panel right where the header meets the fenders. these bolts are about 3" apart. you can see them if you shine a flashlight under the front of the grill. you might need to use a mirror. removal of these 8 bolts will allow you to remove the entire header section from the car. once its removed, you can see the small bolts (about 8 per grill side) that hold the individual grills to the header. if you use this procedure, soak the small grill bolts with a penetrating oil like WD-40 or Permablast rust remover and let them set for about 15 minutes before you try to remove them. they almost always break off.

the second way to remove the grills is to shine a light behind the header and remove the small grill bolts using a mirror to see them. again, try to soak them with penetrating oil first. if these bolts break off they can be removed from the grill panel once you remove it. don't worry if you break these small bolts. if you go to an auto parts store (pepboys, autozone, advance, napa, etc.) pick up the smallest grill attachments that you can find that have bolt thread screws on them. these new molding attachments will fit into the grill sections of a 67,68,69 barracuda grills and can be used to reattach the grills to the header panel. you might have to trim the new molding attachment up with a metal cutter but they will work. i used them on my 68 grills.

i've attached two pics showing the location of the bolts for the header panel and the small grill bolts.

you can completely rebuild your grill sections once you get them off the car by drilling out the OEM rivets and taking the grills completely apart. i did this with my grills. you can use simple 1/8th steel rivets to reassemble the grills.

hope this helps.

jim coster
pittsburgh, pa

Attachments

• header panel 2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 250
I'm delving into it and got some of the parts off.

Redfish: those little stabizer bolts are SOBs. I cannot get an endwrench on the carriage bolt nuts. However, I'm going to try to remove the bolts (inside the fender) that connect the "U" bracket to the fender. I can get a socket on those bolts. These bolts really slowed me down and I ran out of daylight. If those "U" brackets would have been designed to mount the other way, an endwrench could get those carriage bolt nuts off.

And "yes" to all that said things were very rusty under there, including that lowest panel that the license plate bracket attaches to.

Many of the little screws that hold on the trim, were missing altogether.

the end stabilizers can scratch the heck out of a fender going back too.

-
Back