Need help with rear window removal

-
Y

yz4me

I'm trying to remove the trim around the rear window on a 1969 Dodge Dart. It's never been removed before so it's being stubborn. I'm going to remove the entire window but I need to get the trim out first. What's the best way to do it without bending and denting my trim trying to get it out. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if the '69 trim is installed the same way as my son's '74 Dart Sport, but if it is, you need a tool like this one:

WINDOW TRIM TOOL

Basically, you slip it under the stainless trim, slide it until you catch underneath one of the reveal clips, rock the tool slightly until the clip releases the trim, and move to the next one.

'74 Sport,
Thanks for the reply. I have the same tools that were being used in the link you provided and was able to get the trim on the bottom of the window out. What ever that stuff was they used in 1969 to help seal the window in absolutely gnarly. It doesn't want to release the trim away from the window. I think I'll try to get some mineral spirits around the window and see if it helps to dissolve the stuff as I didn't see any clips holding the trim on, at least not on the back window. I know they are used on the front windshield.

My experience with windows is limited to '73-'76 Dart Sports and Dusters, so if the '69 used a sealant, I didn't know. Sorry, I'm out of ideas....

Good luck,
Jerry

there should be the same clips as the windshield trim uses, I would think...

Also not entirely sure about the '69s, but if it's like others then you don't cut the actual glass out like you would a windshield(just to clarify about the windshield-specific link posted here)- the glass should be inside a rubber channel that is locked around the pinchweld. There should be a lock strip of come sort around the outside-not sure if it's a separate piece (my Duster's is) or if the gasket has a self-locking strip. Once the gasket is unlocked, un-stick the rubber from the glass (shouldn't necessarily be a sealant in there, but it will be stuck to the glass). then it's a question of pushing the glass out while prying the rubber away.
^if you already know this part, then never mind lol.

67 through 70 ,I beleave have the clips that hold the chrome on , at least my 68 did. You can get a trim removal tool or use something plastic to get underneath the trim. Gently rock the trim to get it loosened and find where the clips are. The trim is lipped around the clip and should pop off. Becareful not to force or bend your chrome. You may break a couple clips, if so I think I have some you can have. If your going to try and save the window molding., go around it several times with a box knife or again they have a tool that will cut the molding free without harming the molding. Its a ***** to get a Mopar window out. Not only did they use molding but the put a tar seal under it. Take your time and it will come out. If your window is good and your saving it DO NOT use a screw driver to force it out . You can easly ping or crack a window.

Thanks for all the replies. I finally got the trim off and you guys were right. There were clips holding it on, but some of them were so rusted that they were practically gone. I wanted to be careful with the glass because I don't think you can get new rear windows for the Darts.

Thanks for all the replies. I finally got the trim off and you guys were right. There were clips holding it on, but some of them were so rusted that they were practically gone. I wanted to be careful with the glass because I don't think you can get new rear windows for the Darts.
They do have rear windows but not of the old quality you have there.

I'll have to remember that. My old window is coming out and will be stored for quite awhile. You know how "things" happen.

-
Back