Need help with wiring one wire alternator

-

LarryB340

Reaction score
gonna upgrade to 95 amp one wire alternator, I know I need to bypass ammeter, if I run a new heavier charge wire from alternator too starter relay and tie ammeter wires together, where do I get power for the rest of the accessories, key switch power etc.? Do I connect the original alternator feed wire along with the new heavier wire? Anyone got a simple diagram or explanation?

Well, "what have you changed?" Is this an otherwise stock harness? The original key switch source is from the black ammeter wire up under the dash. If you have repaired/ replaced terminals on the big red and big black ammeter wires, and left the rest "in place" that will take care of it.

This simplified power distro from the MAD article shows basic original power distro

Catalog

amp-ga18.jpg

"Everything" except the main starter power pretty much comes off the "welded splice" which is / was a few inches from the ammeter on the black wire.

Be sure to put some sort of protection in the new charge wire, fuse link/ fuse/ breaker

Whatever route you end up taking, please don’t cut corners like I did. Fuse your new alt wire, and run it in conduit. I almost burned my car to the ground because my alt wire grounded out on the engine where it was rubbing. And it wasn’t fused.
The way mine is wired now,
Fused 4ga wire from alt directly to battery. Then the two factory power wires go to the starter relay, which is also connected to the battery

-
Back