Need recommendation of oil for startup

-

challenger57

cuda57
Reaction score
It was suggested to me to use Rotella for the startup oil in my new motor. Any other recommendations? Thanks

that's all I use in my 416 and my 340 and my v6 magnum and the Detroit in my boat maybe add a couple oz of lucas breakin oil. but there is enough zinc in the rotella but some will say not.

brad penn break in oil. never use another product ever again.

013zlmr.jpg

I would never throw money away on the good stuff for breakin. Just get the cheapest oil wally world has on sale and add some high zinc additive to it such as the Comp Cams break in oil. Since it all has to come out after break in, why waste money? As long as you have a high content of zinc from somewhere, what difference does it make? No need spending any more money than necessary.

My engine builder uses a break in specifiv oil. He says "don't try to be a chemist". In regards to mixing up oil concoctions. He also claims that many of the additives actually decrease the lubrication properties of the oil.

He uses and stocks joe gibbs oil.

As far as using junk for the break in. The logic there is simple. Don't pupt an oil in that engine for the more crucial time that you woudn't normally be willing put in it. Like cooking with wine, you shoud never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink... It's hard to see the logic in building an expensive engine and try to save 40 or 50$ on the break in oil.

It's hard to see the logic in building an expensive engine and try to save 40 or 50$ on the break in oil.

Exactly. Doesn't make much sense, especially if you've got $15-17k in an engine build. Even if it's $5-7k, why cheap out on any oil, break-in or not.

Another vote for Brad Penn!

As long as you use the proper rated oil it's fine. The API has ratings that the oil must pass in order to be used. As long as you use the proper rating for your engine and put the zinc additive in, it will be fine. People get so caught up on name brands. There's nothing wrong with all of the Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs or any of the rest, but telling people they cannot use a cheaper brand oil when they can run a cheaper oil is wrong. Yall spend your money your way and let others spend theirs how they want. As long as the oil has the correct API rating for your engine and you have a good zinc additive, you are fine. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

VR1 or Lucas break-in oil

I agree w/ rusty, back in the day-the hemi never knew what oil was in it, and it didn`t make a tinkers dam. we always used 40 or 50 weight oil of a name brand, usually who ever furnished it. break-in or not, never had an oil related problem,or an additive either, course they all had zink back then
will probably use rottella 15w 40 for the break-in of the 505 when I start it.
just my 2 cents worth-----------bob:argue:

I agree w/ rusty, back in the day-the hemi never knew what oil was in it, and it didn`t make a tinkers dam. we always used 40 or 50 weight oil of a name brand, usually who ever furnished it. break-in or not, never had an oil related problem,or an additive either, course they all had zink back then
will probably use rottella 15w 40 for the break-in of the 505 when I start it.
just my 2 cents worth-----------bob:argue:

even the diesel oils are cutting the zinc now. I use the brad penn oils because it is made for flat tappet mech. cam engines. my next engine will be a roller cam motor and i wont have to worry about all this stuff anymore.

It was suggested to me to use Rotella for the startup oil in my new motor. Any other recommendations? Thanks

What does the engine builder recommend?
I know what I recommend depends on the build. Sometimes it's "anything 10-30" and sometimes it's a specific oil.

Not true if your going to be running a big cam with over 400# spring pressure and High HP, you still need the additive.

Yep. My 496" Wedge is a roller motor, and I'm still going to run Brad Penn...Even after break in. The other parts benefit from the additive as well.

By the way, I'm not telling anyone what to do with their money. I'm just sharing what I use/do.

Have Delo 15/40,with a bottle of Lucas break in lube (on a mild hyd roller,even). Lost one engine ,to lack of good lubrication, never again.

Having had a cam wipe out on break in (not an oil issue but a cam manufacturer fault) I will be using Brad Penn oil when I get it back together like we used in my neighbors 318 build.

I might've missed it in the text above, but is there still a pretty strong feeling against breaking in an engine with synthetic oils?

I use 5w30 motor oil with a friction modifier like Comp Cam or BG RF7 I do use 3 oil filters and 15 qt's of oil to break in a new engine.

-
Back