Need respirator recommendations

-

azaustin

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to primer some areas of my car and I want to buy a new respirator that will be good for epoxy and urethane. I have an old 3M that’s ok, but I want something better. I’m not afraid to spend a little money, but I want something I can easily get cartridges and parts for. Any suggestions? I there are a lot of opinions on this, but I know there are a lot of guys on FABO with much experience than I have. Thanks!

Are the cartridges readily available for your 3M respirator? If so, I would get the cartridges for it. Depending upon the age if it, it may be better than what is on the market these days.

Yes, but it’s kind of light duty. I was planning to move up to something with better straps, etc.

See if 3 M offers upgraded straps, I bought 3 sets some years ago for my 10 year old respirator because mine were stretched out. I have set #2 on it now & they are in good shape, I have one more set that will probably outlive me. LOL

Thanks. I have looked at these and was concerned that the face shield might make it difficult to see how the paint was flowing. However, I see a lot of pros using them, so they must work. I will do my interior and chassis priming outside with an HVLP gun. When I get ready to paint the exterior I plan to build a plastic tarp booth with an exhaust fan and intake filter in my RV garage, which is 14 x 60. I’ll use 25-30’ of it. The garage also has a built-in swamp cooler system, but I run it dry just for the cfm fan it has. I have always had good luck with 3M stuff and it’s easy to get parts.

Thanks. I have looked at these and was concerned that the face shield might make it difficult to see how the paint was flowing. However, I see a lot of pros using them, so they must work. I will do my interior and chassis priming outside with an HVLP gun. When I get ready to paint the exterior I plan to build a plastic tarp booth with an exhaust fan and intake filter in my RV garage, which is 14 x 60. I’ll use 25-30’ of it. The garage also has a built-in swamp cooler system, but I run it dry just for the cfm fan it has. I have always had good luck with 3M stuff and it’s easy to get parts.
The face shield does make it harder to see. That's why light is your friend. You need light on the sides. The 3m face mask has tear-offs available too. Ultimately, fresh air is the answer.

Bodyperson is correct, light is your friend. You can NEVER have enough light when applying the color coat &/or clear coat.

Bodyperson is correct, light is your friend. You can NEVER have enough light when applying the color coat &/or clear coat.
I have a sun-light. I turn off all of the other light in the booth (garage) and go around with the sun-light to make sure I have good basecoat coverage before clearing. Been burned a couple times with inadequate coverage that was only seen in sunlight.

After reading the responses, and doing some research, it looks like the only safe way to spray urethanes is to use a fresh air respirator. Does anyone have any suggestions? It looks like they are kind of pricey, but I’d consider it if that’s the way to go. The other option would be to avoid urethane paints and just stick with epoxy. Some years ago I belonged to an EAA chapter that bought an HVLP turbine system that had a fresh-air system built in. Several chapter members used it to paint their airplanes with urethane paint. I really wanted to stick with my regular compressor and HVLP gun if possible.

After reading the responses, and doing some research, it looks like the only safe way to spray urethanes is to use a fresh air respirator. Does anyone have any suggestions? It looks like they are kind of pricey, but I’d consider it if that’s the way to go. The other option would be to avoid urethane paints and just stick with epoxy. Some years ago I belonged to an EAA chapter that bought an HVLP turbine system that had a fresh-air system built in. Several chapter members used it to paint their airplanes with urethane paint. I really wanted to stick with my regular compressor and HVLP gun if possible.
Filtering compressed air freaks me out but they say it works. You still need it for epoxy. Really need to monitor the carbon monoxide. That turbine is the ticket. They use filters and fresh air for sandblasting too. Some of those products seem cheaper.

Lots of people been running filters for years with no problems. I have a good friend been doing this for 50 years. He's 75 and smokes. He'd still be hard at it if he hadn't wrecked his Harley hard. Messed up his shoulders.

Nearly fifty years ago I was doing some custom bike painting with acrylic lacquers and some enamels. Mostly candy paints, metal flake and pearls. Didn’t use a respirator then. I was just lucky I guess, and only did that for a couple of years before I broke down and bought a respirator. I worked in a body shop for a while (doing mechanical repairs only) and saw some old body guys (all heavy smokers, too) who got a little strange in their old age. All the new paints and processes have me kind of nervous, but I’m going to give it a try. I just want to be a little smarter than I was when I was younger.

My respirator is a 3M brand. I'm just a hobby painter, so the price of the full face, supplied air masks are too pricey for me. What I do, is take a coffee filter and cover each filter cartridge with one, and hold it in place with a rubber band. I change them between every coat while I'm waiting for it to flash off. It keeps the filter cartridge's clean and free of paint overspray, and I never smell a thing. I just do epoxy primer, 2K and high build primer, and use base/clear. Every now and then I'll use straight single stage urethane enamel on something. Honestly, my heavy duty Covid mask that I wear in the grocery store or Wal Mart is harder to breath thru than adding the coffee filters to my 3M paint mask! :realcrazy:

I’m getting ready to primer some areas of my car and I want to buy a new respirator that will be good for epoxy and urethane. I have an old 3M that’s ok, but I want something better. I’m not afraid to spend a little money, but I want something I can easily get cartridges and parts for. Any suggestions? I there are a lot of opinions on this, but I know there are a lot of guys on FABO with much experience than I have. Thanks!

This is what I bought. Just bear in mind that the charcoal filter cartridges only provide protection against isocyanates (clear and urethane hardeners) for 30 mins or so from first exposure. Obviously fresh air respirator is best, but if you don't have a need for it often they are pretty expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002STR86/?tag=fabo03-20

The cost of fresh air systems have come down. There is a company making fas' for hobbies and home painters. I want to say they are in the 400.00 range. I will try and get a name for you if your interested.

Just in case anyone is interested. The company is called hobbieair and they have a fresh air system for 397.00 complete,and ready for use.

IF you are sensitive to these chemicals, YOU need a fresh air system.
To the extreme, it kills some people. Then it is sorta too late right? The effects are cumlative I am told.

I bought the full face 3m mask from Hanes Supply Co. 130$ plus 25$ for 25 rip off shield covers. I got primarily for blasting, but your eyes don’t get sticky when you paint with it, so I use it for that too. Uses the same carts

I bought the full face 3m mask from Hanes Supply Co. 130$ plus 25$ for 25 rip off shield covers. I got primarily for blasting, but your eyes don’t get sticky when you paint with it, so I use it for that too. Uses the same carts
FYI. You can not filter silica sand. Not sure if you are using silica and just to let other know also.

Heres what I use when I'm blasting in my cabinet. For particulate, didnt know silica couldnt be filtered? If I was to blast outside the cabinet then something more effective for sure.

20210227_124129.jpg

Filters aren't cheap, and you need to keep them off the mask and in a bag when not in use. Use a good black/solvent with purple/HEPA filter. All fumes are bad, but the isocyanates are worst of all. The fresh air us the best, but not cheap. I've used both, and I've noticed with the fresh air that some coating would sneak in around. I sprayed heavy metals like chromate primers. Nothing better for corrosion protection but have issues also in how to dispose of waste.

Filters aren't cheap, and you need to keep them off the mask and in a bag when not in use. Use a good black/solvent with purple/HEPA filter. All fumes are bad, but the isocyanates are worst of all. The fresh air us the best, but not cheap. I've used both, and I've noticed with the fresh air that some coating would sneak in around. I sprayed heavy metals like chromate primers. Nothing better for corrosion protection but have issues also in how to dispose of waste.
I was re-reading your post and I’m not sure what you mean by using “a good black/solvent with purple HEPA filter.” I know what a HEPA filter is. Is purple the color code for them? What are you referring to when you say “a good black/solvent?” Storing the cartridges in a bag is a good tip which I intend to use. Thanks for your help on this.

-
Back