Need some electrical help I’m clueless

-

jimbo1096

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Little bit of background, pulled the steering column in one piece to replace the coupler. Now all that’s done and it’s put back in no problems. I was checking all the instrumentation and headlights and turn signals, and everything works correctly except the turn signals. The left side will blink only the rear tail light, the front doesn’t work. The right side the back tail light will blink and it’ll suddenly go rapidly blinking and sounds like there’s a cricket going crazy under my dash somewhere. I’ve checked the little turnsignal flashers and swap them back and forth and no change. I have no idea why the turn signals are doing this. None working up front and one side good at the back and the other side going crazy. Any thoughts?
If this sounds crazy or unintelligible, it’s because I am writing it while I’m upside down under the dash. This is my spaghetti
image.jpg

A common thing that can happen is the push in metal terminals get pushed out of the plastic holder.

I wonder if any level of stress on the steering shaft (like in and out) jockeyed the turn signal cam somehow?? Or maybe even just knocked some fuzz on it?? Id hit that area with some compressed air before doing much else.

Replace both flashers and they worked for about eight seconds and then the wire harness started to heat up and it blew the 20 amp fuse

It will blink faster with more current. (wrong bulb or in this case probably a short in the wires to the corners that don't work.

If it blew a 20 amp fuse, likely a short - assuming this is a later model with a fuse on the turn signal circuit.

All the systems worked well before I started doing some more work on the car. All the bulbs have been in there for at least 20 or 30 years, but they were replaced at that time w/electrical lubricants on the socket. I just put new flasher on it and the fuse block is the original glass fuse type under the dash on the left-hand side.

I guess I start disassembling the steering wheel from inside the car to see if I can trace the wires back

-
Back