Neutral safety switch and B&M shifter

-

Mopardude

Reaction score
According to the B&M instructions for my year of car I do not need to hook up anything to the new shifter for the reverse lights and the neutral safety switch to work. Well the reverse lights work but my car starts in gear. Is there a way to fix this prob so I can run at the track?

The reverse lights and the neutral safety switch are the same unit on the trans. The one with the three wires coming out of it. The Brown/Yellow wire should go to the starter relay for the neutral safety. If its connected properly then your switch on the trans could be bad. What year is your car and was it working before you changed the shifter.

My car is a 74. I have no idea if it worked before because on my year of car you can't put it into gear until the key is in the on posistion using the column shifter. I traced the 3 wires from the tranny up to the removable blocks that plug into the firewall. From there i have no idea where they go. I am assuming since the reverse lights work ok that the wiring is correct. I know some GM's have mechanical interlocks that you have to by pass in order to get the job done. Could that be part of the problem?

I'm not sure if they added a mechanical interlock on the 74, but they didn't have them in 72. You can try pulling the column down into a position that would be in a gear and see if the starter turns. If it doesn't than there must be something in the column. Look at the three wires coming from the trans, the black and black w/tracer are for the reverse lights. The other one should be brown w/yellow and that one you should connect to the starter relay.

I moved the column shifter into drive today and tried to start it and it did start. I guess I am going to have to do some wire chassing. Does the Brown with yellow wire go straight to the starter relay or does it go somewhere else first? Actually what is the correct way it should be wired?

-
Back