New 5 speed from Tremec TKX

-
Just saw that. I wonder if it still has the 3 rail shifter like the TKO. Didn't say so in the article so it probably does. I like the 600ft;lb. rating with the 3.27 first gear though. I'd been planning to get the T56 Magnum. Now I'm re-thinking.

Which one works in an A-Body .? And how ?

You didn't see the many Mopar options.....

Usually the Ford version with a TKO Bell for your application and one of the offset shifters or open the tunnel hole for the center shift. Far less work than my TKO install of cut the floor, cut out the hoop, weld new mounts, etc, etc, etc. But that is speculation since it was released today. But there is another option, I guess we'll see how it pans out.

• NOTE: Requires engine specific bell housing. Compatible with OE shift position or console.

You didn't see the many Mopar options.....

Usually the Ford version with a TKO Bell for your application and one of the offset shifters or open the tunnel hole for the center shift. Far less work than my TKO install of cut the floor, cut out the hoop, weld new mounts, etc, etc, etc. But that is speculation since it was released today. But there is another option, I guess we'll see how it pans out.

Are you saying there are Mopar versions ? Just not pictured in that caption ?

Are you saying there are Mopar versions ? Just not pictured in that caption ?

Nah, that just my sarcasm coming through. I have a bad habit of thinking people know my demeanor.

Since I'm a Ford guy too I have a saying: There is direct fit cookie cutter GM and universal, and neither work on a Ford or Mopar.

Last edited:
Directly above the chart of part numbers, it does say this: "...American Powertrain will also have a direct fit version for Classic Corvettes and Mopars,"

Heard that one before. I bet there will be a kit for every GM combination possible before an E-body kit comes out.

Oh, I also for got to mention I'm a cynic and a Scorpio.

Last edited:
I look forward to seeing what becomes of this!

I put the TKO on my 360 with hydraulic clutch got everything from dark horse Performance about 10 years ago. That transmission is awesome

Just saw that. I wonder if it still has the 3 rail shifter like the TKO. Didn't say so in the article so it probably does. I like the 600ft;lb. rating with the 3.27 first gear though. I'd been planning to get the T56 Magnum. Now I'm re-thinking.

Same here, if this doesn't require me to cut multiple square feet out of my floor I'd rather go with the TKX. Based on the video it looks like it shares a lot of major features/dimensions with the TKO, it's just slimmed down. I'd imagine it shouldn't take much to modify the currently-available TKO swap kits to work with this new version so we might have Mopar kits in less than 5 years? LOL... Kind of a bummer though looks like prices are only $400-600 cheaper than a new aftermarket T-56 but if it saves a lot of time requiring less mods and NOT a totally different ($700) crossmember to fit I think it's still worth it. Realistically I'm not sure I'd use 6th gear all that much in a T-56 anyway if 5th gear in the TKX is still an adequately tall overdrive ratio.

Now I really gotta get this 18-spline A-833 that's been sitting in my basement rebuilt and sold so I can put some money into an overdrive manual swap for my Duster. With all these modern 5- and 6-speed manual options becoming available seems like nobody wants an old 4-speed anymore unless it's for a restoration.

I have 3.55 gears in my Duster with 27560R15 tires and I'm running 2600rpm @60 mph. With this new TKX I can run 80mph@2400rpm. Hell Yes! I already have a Mopar to GM TKO bell housing so I will be ordering soon.

SilverSport Transmissions provided a quote for an A-Body conversion using the TKX transmission, so it appears that they are ready to supply kits. I would be converting a '68 340 Formula S Auto to the TKX 5-speed and requested the complete conversion package including hydraulic clutch and peddle assembly. The kit includes driveshaft, transmission mount, pilot bearing, bellhousing, speedo connections, clutch, and many other parts needed to complete the installation. Total cost is just at $6200 for everything.

SilverSport Transmissions provided a quote for an A-Body conversion using the TKX transmission, so it appears that they are ready to supply kits. I would be converting a '68 340 Formula S Auto to the TKX 5-speed and requested the complete conversion package including hydraulic clutch and peddle assembly. The kit includes driveshaft, transmission mount, pilot bearing, bellhousing, speedo connections, clutch, and many other parts needed to complete the installation. Total cost is just at $6200 for everything.
Do they supply instruction sheets ahead of time? I'd like to know how much butchering needs to be done.

Last edited:

Hmmmm...isn't that about the same price for a 6 speed? Anyone have a cost comparison?

So I have asked SST for a quote. They said it is not smaller than a T5, and a T5 still requires tunnel work for mopar A body.

Smaller and lighter than a T56, fits Chevy without cutting or significant work. Doesn't 'fit' mopar A body.

Oh well...

Spoke to SST 2 days ago. It has the same physical mounting points and lengths as the TKO and is only slightly smaller.
In an A-body, the T-bar crossmember "hoop" still has to be COMPLETELY cut out and the floor hump expanded outward. It is not an easy bolt-in.
It is smaller than the Tremec 6 speed and 40 lbs lighter.

Spoke to SST 2 days ago. It has the same physical mounting points and lengths as the TKO and is only slightly smaller.
In an A-body, the T-bar crossmember "hoop" still has to be COMPLETELY cut out and the floor hump expanded outward. It is not an easy bolt-in.
It is smaller than the Tremec 6 speed and 40 lbs lighter.

Thank you.

At that point how much more work is it to fix an off the shelf T56 you have the possibility of finding used?

Maybe this would be drop in for the E and B body’s guys?

-
Back