New air compressor

-

Nathan56989

Reaction score
I bought a new compressor the other day as my little 30 gallon single stage wasn't keeping up with the tasks I was asking from it. I bought an 80 gallon, 2 stage, 5hp Dewalt compressor. Flow is 17 CFM at 175psi. I dont have any tools that run that high of pressure, but the CFM is definitely appreciated. At 90psi the CFM is closer to 18.

I have a couple questions. I see that people are installing after coolers (car AC condensers) between the pump outlet and the tank check valve. Im thinking about doing this after noticing how hot the tank get when this things runs.

My question about this is: will this effect my CFM by any noticeable amount (there will obviously be some sort of adverse effect but how much)? I have no idea how well an AC condenser flows.

Also, im assuming I need to put a water trap device between the condenser and the check valve? The air being brought in through the intake is still going to have the same moisture (although somewhat separated) even after running through a condenser, so it will need to go somewhere, correct?

Anyone have any blueprints that have done this?

20200817_205039.jpg

If you start running something like a "heavy" 1/2" impact or larger you may find a condenser does not flow enough. It would be easy to find out. "Rig" a short whip hose with a tee and a gauge. In other words you go tank output........main hose........tee with gauge.........short whip hose......your largest tool.

Measure pressure to the tool under use. Move the tee to the tool and compare. Note that / those readings. Then make same readings, with ac condenser inserted out of the tank

My quincy compressor with the "max" package came with an aftercooler installed. It has large in and out so the flow is not compromised. It does make a huge difference in keeping the moisture out of the air. However, with an aftercooler you will collect moisture in your tank faster so it will need to be drained more often. I drain my tank every day after use.

Installing another tank would help drop out additional moisture.

Installing another tank would help drop out additional moisture.
I thought about this. I have an extra 60 gallon tank, however the output size is only 3/8". I would like to stay with 1/2" everywhere. The dewalt is 3/4" outlet. Honestly 3/8" would probably be just fine for what I need but just personal preference.

At the end of the day, your cfm will be choked down at the air hose. What size air hose are you running? 3/8 or 1/2 is fine for air tools and even sandblasting. Only use the small 1/4" air hose for small tools like die grinders.

PS: I spot a 72 dart hubcap in the background.

You are correct about the hub caps. They came off the 72 thats on the rotisserie in my profile picture.

I use 1/2" air line. I know it'll be choked down some by all sorts of things, i just don't want to add to that and make it to where the compressor is running non stop again when I'm using a cutoff wheel.

The unfortunate side of high rpm pumps is always the heat produced, higher condensation and longevity. Pertaining to your condensation concern. Condensation leaves your compressor at two points. The discharge pipe, which also should never be sized down, and the drain at the bottom. The drain on the bottom should be activated daily at a minimum. The tank discharge will also expell condensation down stream in the form of droplets, mist and vapor but can be managed and regulated with a series of coalescing filters, wet and dry tanks, dryers and additional drains. Turning down your pressure decreases condensation, increases scfm and you jus gave it a fighting chance to live longer....but there is always more ways to skin a cat. Good luck.

-
Back