New Batteries for Worklight

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It has (2) 18650 6800 mah 4.2v batteries in it now. The charge doesn't last long anymore. Searching, I only find numbers lower than 6800, and voltages lower than 4.2. Mostly 3.7. I know nothing about batteries like these, other than the 4.2 is voltage. I think the 18650 is a type, like a AA or AAA, etc. I'd hate to have to throw out the light because I can't get batteries.

Anyone familiar?

First: 18650 indeed denotes the physical size -- 18 mm in diameter and 650 mm in length (Metric here).

Second: Lithium Ion batteries have "Nominal" voltage rating (that would be the 3.7 volts) and max charge rating (there's your 4.2 volt number). In all probability, you have Lithium Cobalt batteries which max out at 4.2 volts when fully charged, but are typically rated at 3.7 volts nominally.

Third: the 6800 mAH rating is how much charge and load carrying it is rated for -- 6.8 amp/hours. That is on the high side, but if you replaced worn out 6800's with fresh 5000's, it would still last longer on a charge than it does now.

Fourth: Where to get replacements? 18650 Battery Store - Trusted Supplier of Lithium Ion Batteries

First: 18650 indeed denotes the physical size -- 18 mm in diameter and 650 mm in length (Metric here).

Second: Lithium Ion batteries have "Nominal" voltage rating (that would be the 3.7 volts) and max charge rating (there's your 4.2 volt number). In all probability, you have Lithium Cobalt batteries which max out at 4.2 volts when fully charged, but are typically rated at 3.7 volts nominally.

Third: the 6800 mAH rating is how much charge and load carrying it is rated for -- 6.8 amp/hours. That is on the high side, but if you replaced worn out 6800's with fresh 5000's, it would still last longer on a charge than it does now.

Fourth: Where to get replacements? 18650 Battery Store - Trusted Supplier of Lithium Ion Batteries
That’s awesome. Thank you for spending the time to fill me in. I’m going to order a couple.

Get a good name brand for them as well. I haven't seen any with that capacity before, but I'm sure they must exist.

I've had good luck with Orbtronic. I believe they use Panasonic batteries. I have a set from 2016 and a set from 2019, both sets still going strong.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a huge capacity!! I think Panasonic and Samsung are two of the best. Eneloop and Orbtronic use Panasonic cells, I'm not sure who uses Samsung.

If you buy generic ones, I'm sure they'll work just fine, just maybe not last as long.

Wow, that's a huge capacity!! I think Panasonic and Samsung are two of the best. Eneloop and Orbtronic use Panasonic cells, I'm not sure who uses Samsung.

If you buy generic ones, I'm sure they'll work just fine, just maybe not last as long.
There are several in the 3400 range; some at 5000, But no others until those 9900's. Maybe it's just "optimistic advertising"? Beats me.

Is 9900 amp/hour believable? Only one I've seen that high.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CG1KL3RC/?tag=fabo03-20

In regards to buying a brand name, what's good?
Look at the 1 and 2 star reviews:

"1.0 out of 5 stars Vastly overstated capacity
Reviewed in the United States on March 28, 2024
These batteries are marked as having "9900 mAh". My testing using 5 testers and 9 tests averaged 1226 mAh -- only 12% of the stated capacity!"

Another:
"1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible
Reviewed in the United States on December 11, 2023
These lasted about 30 mins on the lowest setting of my headlamp like the 2200 mah original set last longer im gonna keep as lastresort but deff do not buy if you want long lasting bc there not!!!!"

That's why there has been focus on reliable brand-name batteries. Samsung, LG, Panasonic are a few names, but we've been using stuff from S. Korea that has worked well for us; however, we're buying direct from the manufacturer in bulk quantities, as there is no US distributor. Just check out the lowest reviews before buying.

I bought this for a work light .
It will light up my 20' x40' shop it's that bright.
Magnet on bottom, hook on top, and a fold out stand. USB with charge cord and storage. Nice handy light weight light.

20240422_154349.jpg

20240422_154334.jpg

20240422_154319.jpg

20240422_154302.jpg

-
Back