New Dutra Duals

-

TF360

Reaction score
Anybody have them installed yet? Will they bolt right up to the head?

According to the AussieSpeed site they will.

Yea, I saw that Rusty, but trying to check a real install for reference. Thanks

Yea, I saw that Rusty, but trying to check a real install for reference. Thanks

I understand. I don't know a soul who has them. I'm lookin at um, but I would prefer headers.

I believe @Charrlie_S had some input on their early A body headers and if I remember right, they supposedly fit well.
Nope! Charrlie brought me the headers they made for him after he sent Mark a set to copy because they didn't fit. And wanted me to help provide a better solution for building headers for the A-bodies. If you had a sawzall, chop saw and plasma cutter, they would fit....

They only have right hand drive cars in Oz to test fit these products, so that isn't going to provide an adequate platform to make a product such as headers for the US market where our cars are left hand drive!

Last edited:
Nope! Charrlie brought me the headers they made for him after he sent Mark a set to copy because they didn't fit. If you had a sawzall, chop saw and plasma cutter, they would fit....

They only have right hand drive cars in Oz to test fit these products, so that isn't going to provide an adequate platform to make a product such as headers for the US market where our cars are left hand drive!

That's too bad. You would think someone would make something decent. If I am going to hot up a slant six, I want more than two manifolds, I don't care whose name is associated with them.

If a person gives you a part to copy that will fit the intended chassis just fine. Why wouldn't you just copy the part instead of trying to make it conform to a chassis that is day and night different from what it is going to be mounted on? Instead of just simply copying the part....Plus what he did with the header flange was just atrocious also!

there is a photo of a set of the new OZ Dutra Duals in this really neat car post

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=64612&hilit=dutra+duals

previously there was one kind of Dutra and it was used on the front or rear. When used in the rear it made for a really tight bend to get over even a mini starter.
It can be done as I did that on my 83 D150. I am thinking that when Doc designed these he never intended it to be fit to the rear as the plan was to mod the existing slant six exhaust manifold for the rear unit.

It looks like AussieSpeed did address that.

Concerning interferience to the block, I did have to grind the rear manufacturing lug on the block, but again that was on one of Doc's original design parts. And it was not much to resolve.

got a glimpse

scamp 002.jpg

Supposedly the Oz Dutras were modded a smidge to clear a block casting that the original didnt. And for that money, I'd install headers in a heartbeat. Why doesn't anyone cast the '61 Hyper-pak exhaust?
IMG_0647_zpsr7lbnnfg.jpg

Supposedly the Oz Dutras were modded a smidge to clear a block casting that the original didnt. And for that money, I'd install headers in a heartbeat. Why doesn't anyone cast the '61 Hyper-pak exhaust?
IMG_0647_zpsr7lbnnfg.jpg.html

I can go on Ebay and buy some stainless headers for this 61 Falcon with a 144 I just got. Yeah, they're chinkesium imports, but somebody at least makes um. But nuthin for a early a body with a slant. There's always Clifford, I guess.

Nope! Charrlie brought me the headers they made for him after he sent Mark a set to copy because they didn't fit. And wanted me to help provide a better solution for building headers for the A-bodies. If you had a sawzall, chop saw and plasma cutter, they would fit....

Are you remembering right? I don't remember bringing you a set to modify. I did send Mark a set of Clifford 170 headers, and a set of 225 headers. He did modify them so his would work on both the 170, and 225 engine in a 66 and down "A" body. I haven't tried them on a 225, but am running them on a 66 Valiant with a 170. They are close to the torsion bar, but don't hit.

Slick chick- show me your kickdown linkage or is a that a manual?

Are you remembering right? I don't remember bringing you a set to modify. I did send Mark a set of Clifford 170 headers, and a set of 225 headers. He did modify them so his would work on both the 170, and 225 engine in a 66 and down "A" body. I haven't tried them on a 225, but am running them on a 66 Valiant with a 170. They are close to the torsion bar, but don't hit.
Yes, we met at the Cracker Barrel and you brought me 3 sets of headers, the Clifford 170's, the 225's and the "new set" he made from the 2 sets you sent him. You told me at the time the "new set" he made didn't fit without having to dent and either cut the frame or other issues....not necessarily to modify, but to evaluate and were wondering if I could make a better mousetrap....
Overall, you were not pleased with his "new set" and how they fit. Especially since he kept them for nearly 3 years and couldn't make them any better than that. Also, you hated how he separated the header flange into 6 individual ones, making them more likely to be warped and out of alignment one to another, and they were also much thinner than the factory header flanges that were on the ones you supplied him. And to compensate, he tack welded a "cheesy" thicker piece of steel at each location where the adjoining intake tab contacted them. Any of this sounding familiar now?

Last edited:
View attachment 1715519039

A guy on the .org site was close to getting the patterns made to do that. But for what ever reason, either lack of interest in people wanting them or he personally lost interest it never happened....

There was one set of modified hyper pak exhaust manifolds that were given or sold to Aussie Speed. This was right around the time they bought the Dutra manifold casting parts. So not sure what is going on in the process right now. If they fix them, and cast them, I am not sure who would buy the Dutra castings. Maybe a Turbo user, not sure. Not knocking the Dutra parts, I have a set. But I also have a set of hyper pak manifolds on the Lancer.
I was going to buy their headers, but those flanges stopped me. Now that I have the engine in the Colt, they would not have worked anyway.

I have a set sitting in storage. I have yet to install them.

I purchased from a member on here. According to him they were a straight bolt on.

Can somebody please correct the typo in the thread title?

Please?

-
Back