New fan clutch is diffent

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
I got a new fan clutch and it is larger in diameter and deeper. My original 318 clutch says Eaton 3462-106.

Any ideas?

We will check the clearance once the radiator and engine are in, but just wondering if anyone else had this issue.

As a matter of fact yes..................I just took delivery of another pristine 72 340 Duster, this one is loaded with options with one of them being A/C......Immediatly I noticed the slow fan speed at idle with the air on...shut it off and grabbed one of the seven fan blades and I could move it side to side a good bit...called Napa, they said they had one......picked it up, got home and compared them side by side...my original unit,made by Eaton, was a little shorter....meaning with the one size fits all clutch would hit the radiator.........So.......anyone know of a mfg for these fan clutches?? Dave

Did you ever try to install it? I'm thinking that it should fit since it is the same one offered at every auto store I've checked. She cross referenced the original Eaton number at NAPA on my old clutch with the new larger one.

Yeah, the way I checked my original fan clutch is by shutting the engine off, then watching if the fan was still spinning several times.

go to napa and ask for a clutch for a 78 sunbird 305cid, fits fine behind my 4 core 71 340 demon rad.

-
Back