New Here, Researching A Body Convertible 392 Swaps

-

iblue

Reaction score
Hey Folks!

I am currently researching/lurking in here for a project I am scoping out. Was looking into doing a slightly overbuilt but fun weekend/cruiser. The family is a pretty big fan of convertibles and I like the Barracuda A bodies, so currently thinking a 67-69 Barracuda convertible. Was looking to do a 392 swap with a manual transmission. Starting with a decent /6 auto car probably makes sense? Learning more about the common rust points, what pieces are hard to come by and how folks cover up issues has me watching a lot of Uncle Tony's Garage.

From what I am gathering, in order to run a gen III Hemi I will need a later version (73-76 IIRC) V8 k member or to swap to a QA1 (leaning towards this if not a full QA1 coil over handling setup). For transmission, I'm still learning the options. For the driveshaft/rear, it looks like a custom driveshaft from a local shop to fit the selected transmission and an 8 3/4" from an A body would be the best bet. For electronics and gauges, definitely going to be reading a lot others builds. Factory gen III electronics seem like a pain, the other standalones seem to have various pitfalls and I also wonder about security for older cars, especially when they are convertibles.

Anyways, it will be nice to swear at an old Mopar instead of a somewhat old BMW (2008 335i 6MT convertible) for a change of pace. If you've done this and can drop some advice or link some builds and write ups it will be much appreciated!

IMG_8185.jpeg

Welcome to the madness! You don't have to use the 73 up K member. Conversion mounts are available for the 67-72 K. However, the brakes and big ball joints are an advantage on the 73 up cars. Holley has mounts that move the engine ahead in order for the SRV motor on the back of the intake manifold to clear the firewall. Their trans mount would be a must use as well. If you're looking for a TRUE bolt in trans options, then factory stuff it is. Either a Torqueflite or A-833. Anything that bolts to the back of a small block will bolt to the Hemi. You will need different exhaust manifolds as well. There are lots of build threads to check out. Good luck!

The '73+ k-frame and Holley mounts also make the oil filter issue easier with an available OEM 90 degree adapter. And the OEM low mount AC compressor fits as well.

Personally I don't think you need a coil over kit for handling. My Duster with a mild upgrade (relatively) handles as well as the '15 Challenger R/T STP I used to have. Maybe not a high benchmark, but they aren't Chevys that honestly need an aftermarket suspension to make them handle.

I think the transmission can be the single largest factor in how "modern" an old car feels, so I would do at least a TKX if you want a manual. I am going T56 in my '73 because it will match my old Challenger so well for RPM's. I like the A833OD in my Duster since it has OD gear, but it definitely feels old school.

Hey Folks!

I am currently researching/lurking in here for a project I am scoping out. Was looking into doing a slightly overbuilt but fun weekend/cruiser. The family is a pretty big fan of convertibles and I like the Barracuda A bodies, so currently thinking a 67-69 Barracuda convertible. Was looking to do a 392 swap with a manual transmission. Starting with a decent /6 auto car probably makes sense? Learning more about the common rust points, what pieces are hard to come by and how folks cover up issues has me watching a lot of Uncle Tony's Garage.

From what I am gathering, in order to run a gen III Hemi I will need a later version (73-76 IIRC) V8 k member or to swap to a QA1 (leaning towards this if not a full QA1 coil over handling setup). For transmission, I'm still learning the options. For the driveshaft/rear, it looks like a custom driveshaft from a local shop to fit the selected transmission and an 8 3/4" from an A body would be the best bet. For electronics and gauges, definitely going to be reading a lot others builds. Factory gen III electronics seem like a pain, the other standalones seem to have various pitfalls and I also wonder about security for older cars, especially when they are convertibles.

Anyways, it will be nice to swear at an old Mopar instead of a somewhat old BMW (2008 335i 6MT convertible) for a change of pace. If you've done this and can drop some advice or link some builds and write ups it will be much appreciated!
There is a nice one on ebay for sale with the suspension changes with great pics. It a 500 cubic inch Hemi not a gen 3 though. Its a 67 and currently for sale on ebay. Many good photos if you want to go to school on what they did. It was a rotisserie restoration with several mods for plumb crazy restorations. Ill post the link.

There is a nice one on ebay for sale with the suspension changes with great pics. It a 500 cubic inch Hemi not a gen 3 though. Its a 67 and currently for sale on ebay. Many good photos if you want to go to school on what they did. It was a rotisserie restoration with several mods for plumb crazy restorations. Ill post the link.
I guess not it's gone for 50K

-
Back