New member with a project in the works

-

Stranglehold

Reaction score
Hello all, thanks already for the info I've found on this site! I actually signed up on the site several months ago but just been lurking. Currently in the process of restoring a '69 Dart 340 4 speed car. Definitively at the early stages. Bought the car from a friend 20 years ago with a 318 in it. Had some work done on that motor and drove it to some cruises and hang outs. Was able to run a 14.55 with 3.21s so it wasn't terrible. Fairly rust free, and straight. Unfortunately not #'s matching, in fact, no fender tag or dash VIN or broadcast sheets, but a '69 Mopar none the less! First full resto on a car so why not go full tilt! '71 340 block, '74 A833 trans, had an 8 1/4, 8 3/4 going in, paint will be T5 Copper with saddle interior. White stripe? Not fully decided on that one yet. Motor is already built, 414, hope I didn't go over board with that :/ Meeting the body/paint guy this week hopefully. He's currently doing my friends '70 Challenger. So now just restoring/gathering needed parts for the build. I'm kind of a rookie at some of this so any info is greatly appreciated! Will be starting a thread on the build shortly.

P.S. I had started taking this car apart several years ago, life happened (I'm lazy?) and now I'm up to my neck in it :-0

005.JPG

006.JPG

010.JPG

305.JPG

439.JPG

444.JPG

Welcome to the group. Good luck with your project

Post number 1912. The Titanic sank in this year

Wow. back the horse up and put her in full stoppage. No vin, no broadcast, no tag? You have a free and clear title?
Cuz if you build this and then go try to sort things out with WSP and the car turns out stolen. You loose everything. Get this all sorted with a clear title in hand before you add one single piece to this project. Trust me. I know what I speak of.

I sure hope you have SOME paper work on your car. Without VIN tag & no title, you may lose it all when you try to register it in your state.

Howdy Neighbor! I'm about halfway done with a 69 Dart myself. I agree with the others above, make sure you have the car titled in your name before you get too deep into it. I bought mine from the widow of the previous owner, and it was touch-and-go whether I would be able to get through the paperwork. I did, and I'm glad I got that done right away when I bought the car.

I wonder if having a title, with numbers that match the original sheet metal stampings is enough to consider it legal enough to get a new vin tag to install? When I moved to Colorado and bought an out of state car, then inspected all of the usual places before they'd call it legit and let me title it. Moving to TX later revealed a much different process. handed over my 50 bucks and off I went, but I had a legit CO title. Curious to see how that plays out.

Howdy Neighbor! I'm about halfway done with a 69 Dart myself. I agree with the others above, make sure you have the car titled in your name before you get too deep into it. I bought mine from the widow of the previous owner, and it was touch-and-go whether I would be able to get through the paperwork. I did, and I'm glad I got that done right away when I bought the car.
Halfway done... BAHAHAHA...:rolleyes::poke:..

Good point. I should have elaborated a little further in my description. Car has had WSP inspection and does have a VIN it’s just tagged on the drivers side door jamb. I was the last legal owner to register the car, albeit many years ago. I just wish I had the VIN in the correct place. Not sure if it’s possible to have a dash VIN made and put in even if I keep the one WSDOT put on the car.

Good point. I should have elaborated a little further in my description. Car has had WSP inspection and does have a VIN it’s just tagged on the drivers side door jamb. I was the last legal owner to register the car, albeit many years ago. I just wish I had the VIN in the correct place. Not sure if it’s possible to have a dash VIN made and put in even if I keep the one WSDOT put on the car.
Hmmmm....Is the VIN tag on the drivers’ A pillar a factory one? If it is, your car might be a ‘67, as ‘68- up had a dash VIN, not ‘67. If you post the first 5 digits of your VIN, we should be able to confirm.

Hmmmm....Is the VIN tag on the drivers’ A pillar a factory one? If it is, your car might be a ‘67, as ‘68- up had a dash VIN, not ‘67. If you post the first 5 digits of your VIN, we should be able to confirm.

The car should be a ‘69. Side markers are flush mount reflectors. I guess some metal work could have been done to change that. I’ll look at that A pillar and get some more pics up. Any info is always appreciated.

The car should be a ‘69. Side markers are flush mount reflectors. I guess some metal work could have been done to change that. I’ll look at that A pillar and get some more pics up. Any info is always appreciated.
Yes...Those front fenders are ‘69 because of the reflectors, and they do swap to ‘67 bodies. More pics will definitely help as well as the first 5 VIN digits.

Post pictures of the VIN location. Someone might have taken a 67 & turn it into a 69. Fenders, quarter panels & doors can be changed out, and if they were good enough, it might be had to tell. Just some food for thought.

Post pictures of the VIN location. Someone might have taken a 67 & turn it into a 69. Fenders, quarter panels & doors can be changed out, and if they were good enough, it might be had to tell. Just some food for thought.

Here is a picture of the door jamb "VIN". I guess its technically an Assigned Identification Number.
L - Dart
M - Medium Price Class
23 - Hard Top
P - 340 ci
9 - 1969
E - Los Angeles
159311 - Sequential Number
I believe this is correct. Am I missing something? I swapped out one of the fenders years ago, but the quarters look original unless, like you said, somebody did some good metal work. Also, it has factory torque boxes front and rear. Am I correct in thinking 4 speed 340 A bodies got these factory? I don't have good clean pics of those, but will be working on that tonight.

VIN.jpg

-
Back