NEW: S/S Hemi Prototype Barracuda (Mule) Info found ! Magazine Test car connection!

-

autoxcuda

Reaction score
Copy of BarracudaSpecialOrder_IMG003.jpg

I own the all the original build documentation info from Bob Tarozzi who designed the prototype mule car for that 68 Hemi A-body Super Stock program. I've been trying to clear up some info on the car and then got interested in where this car came from.

From the documentation, the mule car is noted as a 1968 340 4spd from the Chrysler corporate Road Test Garage on or before 10/9/67: Car # 139.

Well, it seems Road Test Garage cars where used for magazine test cars. I've collected all those original 1968 Barracuda magazine articles. Car and Driver, Sports Car Graphic, Car Life Motor Tread... even original '68 articles on the Mule car itself.

Well, today I got a picture of the fender tag on the mule car.

This car has a unique option combination. And it matches the red 340 4spd used in the Sports Car Graphic December issue. In my opinion there is a strong case that both these cars are the same. Read further and check it out.

Mule Car Fender Tag

Options on Super Stock Mule prototype (Car # 139):

• PP1 Red
  • Formula S
  • 4 speed
  • Rear defogger.
  • Manual disk brakes
  • 3 speed wipers
  • Drivers side remote mirror
  • Black deluxe interior bucket seats
  • Console
  • Tach
  • Wheel lip moldings
  • Radio
  • 3.91 gears
rear bumper guards shown in Irwindale test photos. You can't order rear only bumper guards. The front bumper may have been replaced with lightweight one. Bumper guard option does not show up on a fender tag

Copy of Mule Fender Tag.jpg

SS Mule Fender Tag Decode.jpg

456591839_8781696801859473_7503194257818724677_n.jpg

Now look at this Dec 1967 road test car:

Options seen on PP1 Sports Car Graphic road test 340 4spd 68 Barracuda
  • Rear defogger. Because it does NOT have light package with map light switch. Nor is it a conv. top switch. So the switch under the dash has to be for rear defogger.
  • Manual disk brakes
  • Formula S
  • 340 spd
  • 3 speed wipers
  • Drivers side remote mirror
  • Black deluxe interior bucket seats
  • Console
  • Wheel lip moldings
  • Radio
  • Red side wall tires
  • front and rear bumper guards
Sports Car Graphic article says the 340 car had 3.91 gears.

Also, the article was partially written and test driven by none other than Chrysler Engineer Scott Harvey. Harvey ran the 1966 SCCA Trans Am series with a '66 Barracuda. And coincidentally, Bob Tarozzi crewed on his team (have binder with race ticket stubs, car setups, etc. from Bob). Also, Scott Harvey was mentioned in the interoffice memo for part procurement for one set of lightweight glass for the mule car, "Repeat of order recently supplied to Mr. Scott Harvey". Also, the large bolt pattern disk brakes used on the Super Stock A-bodies were originally made for Scott Harvey for the 66 A-body SCCA cars. Geez a lot of coincidences.

IMG_1867.JPG

Copy of IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG

Copy of IMG_1874.JPG

Copy of IMG_1870.JPG

Sports Car Graphic list of options on test 340 car:

This option list for the test car matches the Mule prototype's fender tag exactly except for the custom sill molding (spears and gill rocker). And that is clearly not on the pictured test car.

The Sport Steering wheel (woodgrain) option in on the Mule prototype but is not pictured on the magazine car.

Even stranger, the steering wheel pictured on this magazine test car is a 1967 steering wheel. Maybe it this car was pre-production and the new for '68 wheel wasn't ready? Or they swapped parts on these Road Test cars? And the rocker gills shown on the option list aren't even on pictured car... just weird.

I don't believe steering wheel, bumper guards or fast ratio steering are listed on a 68 fender tag. Maybe @davescuda can confirm?

IMG_1877.JPG

Last edited:
Now look at original Peterson Publication pictures of the 1968 Hemi Barracuda mule prototype being tested at Irwindale Dragstrip.

2024-08-25_18-48-17.jpg

215795869_4334008373320465_4985845061387470365_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thats quite a bit of detective work. One thing I’m confused about is the fender tag you state is for a hardtop which I have come to know as a notch barracuda and the cars pictured and as far as I know all Hemi barracudas were fastbacks.

Thanks for spotting that! I corrected it.

I decoded that wrong. It was hard to read the tag with all that paint on it. It's BH29

Last edited:
So then you may well be on the right track. I’m not well versed in pre 69 tags, so I didn’t know by looking at it or did I look at it real closely either.

I wish well and good luck with your journey.

Here's the Super Stock Hemi Barracuda's prototype/mule documents that reference this 340 4 speed car # 139

IMG_9956.JPG

IWML3668.JPG

Last edited:
That’s an awful lot of circumstantial evidence, to be sure. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck…

Do I recall correctly that the mule car still exists?

That’s an awful lot of circumstantial evidence, to be sure. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck…

Do I recall correctly that the mule car still exists?

Yes, that picture of the whole car and fender tag above is from the Mopar Nationals a few weeks ago.

I heard it was going to another show next week in ? Ohio ?

If I could find this Sports Car Graphic car in the Petersen photo archive, it may show a picture of the white painted number on the battery. You see those in old mopar magazine cars. I think that might be that Car #.

Copy (2) of IMG_1872.JPG

If I could find this Sports Car Graphic car in the Petersen photo archive, it may show a picture of the white painted number on the battery. You see those in old mopar magazine cars. I think that might be that Car #.

View attachment 1716294792
I have some stories in old var magazines. I'll check it up.

I have some stories in old var magazines. I'll check it up.

Thanks !

And looking for Petersen achieve pictures that were taken for this Sports Car Graphic article that didn't make print. They take plenty more photos that actually used in the articles of course.

Now if we only knew what they did with the original 340 motor .......

Now if we only knew what they did with the original 340 motor .......
I don't think someone will be able to connect that block with this car, since it appears Chrysler removed the vin from the Mule car.

If a car got a fender tag, it should have got a vin at some point prior.

In High School, we got a fork lift smashed late 80's Camaro from the Van Nuys CA plant about 13 miles away. Well they yanked the VIN from the dash of that Camaro and my teacher signed a waiver the car would be scrapped if not used for educational purposes.

Got word from fender tag expert Dan Pausch that 1968 cars with a 7 for first letter or SO# seem to be special. Possibly press cars. He mostly has 69 and up info, but does collect 68 info too.

But he only has 3-4 cars on record with 7xxxxx SO#'s. One is the 68 Hemi GTX convertible magazine car. The another is a 68 Charger R/T that looks to be one used in sales literature. And 1-2 more he can't connect with anything.

This is the 68 Hemi GTX convertible Popular Hot Rodding magazine test car

68 Hemi GTX Magazine car Fender Tag.jpg

1724676336806.png

1724676454993.png

This is the tag for the car used to make the 68 Hemi Super Stock "mule" car. Still on the car!

456591839_8781696801859473_7503194257818724677_n.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think someone will be able to connect that block with this car, since it appears Chrysler removed the vin from the Mule car.

If a car got a fender tag, it should have got a vin at some point prior.

In High School, we got a fork lift smashed late 80's Camaro from the Van Nuys CA plant about 13 miles away. Well they yanked the VIN from the dash of that Camaro and my teacher signed a waiver the car would be scrapped if not used for educational purposes.
You may come across some documentation that reveals the vin of this car. Always a long shot, but just more pieces of the puzzle.

You may come across some documentation that reveals the vin of this car. Always a long shot, but just more pieces of the puzzle.
For sure.
You never know.

So I have always wondered when they switched the 1967 three speed style wiper motor that this car wears with the newer style? I saw another early 68 383 automatic notchback this weekend with the big wiper motor...

I would like to know more about Gary O's car.

429977592_10225321891096289_4080461502363620110_n.jpg

World Finals 1968. Ostrich.jpg

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Superstock.jpg

So I have always wondered when they switched the 1967 three speed style wiper motor that this car wears with the newer style? I saw another early 68 383 automatic notchback this weekend with the big wiper motor...

My 68 barracuda’s SPD is 214. That’s Nov 14, 1967. I have that early 3spd wiper motor

@HemiSSDart or anyone else, Have you seen other 68 model year cars with SO#’s that start with 7….. ?

Last edited:
I found that old FABO on the Pilot 67 Valiant Signet. It has an early SPD of 807 and SO number 30019. Car was used in parts book I believe.

I've learned SO number meaning very year for year. So what might mean something in 1968 does not apply to other years typically.

1724692389937.png

Last edited:
Here’s the rare rear window defroster still on the Prototype mule car at US nationals this weekend.

Which the magazine Barracuda coincidentally also has. Along with every other option that's pictured except the prior year's 1967 steering wheel

IMG-9980.jpg

IMG_5999.jpeg

IMG_5996.jpeg

With the rare wheel well carpet option

That’s included with deluxe interior. At least in 1968 it is.

I wouldn’t say that’s quite as rare as the defogger.

But all those options in the Prototype Mule fender tag is an odd combination.

Manual disk, 4spd, 3.91 gear
But loaded with luxury options !

Prototype/ Mule fender tag decoded:
IMG_9988.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back