New to all of this

-

Breadfather

Reaction score
I have a 72 swinger with a 318 and a 904 trans. Today i bought a 1977 400 with a 727 trans on it. I have a question about the tranny. It has a short tail shaft on it. Can still be used or does that have to be replaced in order to work in my car? If so, How hard is it to swap out? My bro in law also has a swinger and a 440 rt charger he has an extra 727 with the long tail section on it. Is it pretty basic to swap them out or should just have his tranny rebuilt and use it. I am a recent convert from a 67 camaro, so a lot of this is all new to me. Thanks any info is appriciated. Also is the 400 a good engine or should i look for something else.

Well, stock the motor is going to not be real whoopee. That motor needs compression and a cam. Are you going to build it up?

thats the plan but not sure how much nothing to crazy right now i need to figure out the tranny thing the big block wont be going in for a while

The 400 is an excellent engine and there are plenty of new parts to go either the mild street version or, my personal favorite, go for the throat version. One of the most used mods for the 400 is to drop in a 440 crank (with remachined journals) and stroke it to 452. With this combo we'll see how good that Ford 9" you're running really is. By the way it is a 9" right.

http://www.440source.com/

Terry

no it is an 8inch unfortunately i keep scouring for a good 8 3/4 but no such luck so far what do you all think about the tranny it has the short tail shaft on it

With an 8" you'd have to keep the 400 pretty mild but keep watching this forum for an 8 3/4", seems like one comes up every week and with the short tail you might have problems using the factory position body mounts.

Terry

In order to use the short tail trans in your car you will really need to change the tailhousing AND main shaft. The short trans came in 4x4 only. It may have better internals than the other trans has, so either take both to a good trans shop or learn to build them your self and use the best parts to build one.

I think I'm a black sheep of mopar boards.
The low comp engines can be made to run.

And as far as the 8 1/4 rearend goe's I've built one for my son that has over 250 passes
I am waiting for it to break.
The Duster I built for my son should hit the 10's this year.
Before the stage 6 heads were put on the cars best time with 100hp of juice was 11.59
Last week the car went 11.70's off the juice.

IMGP1289.jpg

IMGP1283.jpg

Is it pretty difficult to get the two trans into one, or should i not even attempt it. Ive never taken apart a tranny before but it could be fun to learn how. i also would not like to ruin 2 trannys

as far as the engine goes i know demon seed recomends doing a stroker and that sounds good and all but maybe a little pricey and that would have to come further down the line could i just put some good top end products in there and still be able to make good power or should i just do the stroker the first time and get it over with

Just match the cam with the compression (in other words, don't go overboard). Build for torque, which is much more fun on the street anyway.

As for the transmissions, get a factory service manual. It would be better if it were for your car, but any late 60s through late 70s manual would have a good transmission section. There are also videos out there that will help. A few specialized tools, which you can make, along with snap ring pliers and you're ready to build a 727.

yeah i think i am going to attempt it my self how bad can it be right if it doesnt work then i just do it again untill its right its not my daily driver so it can sit for a while

yeah i think new heads and intake and cam and carb in addition to a rebuild will be good enough for now not looking to get to crazy but still be able to make some people look silly

If you don't want to spent alot of money you will have to be patient.
I bought my son's engine at a auto action for $500 out of a mud boggger.
Turned out to be .030.
The only mods we did to it was to put a new timing chain on it.
.528 Mopar solid cam.
Holley carb.
RPM intake.

Here's a pic of the engine with the old heads.
IMGP0513.jpg

Here's a pic of the engine before the new heads

how does it run? the cheaper the better obviously. but i am not apposed to spending the money but it has to be worth it as far as i can tell it is worth it to get a decent set of heads however i have never built an engine for performance before.

-
Back