New to the forum…my 72 Duster

-

Goop

Reaction score
Hey all!

Been reading the forums for a while now and finally decided join. My grandma had a 76 4 door Dodge Dart with a 318 that my dad would take me out riding in when I was a kid. Since then I’ve been hooked! So I finally decided it was time to start looking so that I could create those memories with my own kids. I picked up a 72 Duster at Carlisle a few weeks ago. It’s got the Twister package, 318/904 with the 8.75 rear. It needs a few small things to really get it where I’m comfortable cruising, but overall it’s in good shape.

Immediate needs:
- coolant leak at the thermostat housing
- power steering leak; not sure if it’s the pump itself or a hose

In the near future:
- brakes all the way around (drums in the rear, disc in the front)
- new exhaust
- new fuel tank and sending unit
- rear axle seal has a slight leak
- upgrade the gears; it has 2.76 gears in it now, would like to put 3.23 or 3.55 gears in it

Appearance items:
- it has black rally wheels now, I want to put Magnum 500’s on
- maybe take the Twister logos off the rear? Anyone done that?

Any opinions of what is needed would be greatly appreciated! Hope to learn a lot from you guys on here!

IMG_5221.jpeg
IMG_5222.jpeg
IMG_5220.jpeg
IMG_3882.jpeg
IMG_5168.jpeg

Welcome from Texas, you will find a wealth of knowledge on this site. Just be prepared for some ribbing.

Love the car, saw it in the Car Corral at Carlisle.

Does it have Big Bolt pattern wheels? If stock they would be small bolt pattern wheels which would mean a LOT MORE than just changing the wheels!

IMHO the Twister emblem is just part of the whole very complicated paint scheme - I'd keep it!

Love the car, saw it in the Car Corral at Carlisle.

Does it have Big Bolt pattern wheels? If stock they would be small bolt pattern wheels which would mean a LOT MORE than just changing the wheels!

IMHO the Twister emblem is just part of the whole very complicated paint scheme - I'd keep it!
Thanks! The rear end and axles were upgraded, so it’s got the big bolt pattern, which I am happy with! I had been told that the BBP opens up a whole world of possibilities for wheels.

I change my opinion on the Twister emblem daily haha. One day I like it, the next I think it makes it too busy.

Thank you all for the kind welcome!

Question for the group…where might I find new center caps and lug nuts that will fit the BBP rally wheels I have? I would like to repaint them to the correct silver color soon. Right now I have a hodgepodge of mismatched lug nuts.

I would check swap meets, the repo caps are not that nice.
Lugnuts are easy.

I would check swap meets, the repo caps are not that nice.
Lugnuts are easy.
And they’re expensive! May just paint them. Probably going to be temporary anyways since I want to put mag wheels on it.

-
Back