new top and boot ordered today!

-
Take a lot of pics and take your time and you'll do fine. I installed mine about 1/4 inch loose to allow for shrinkage.

Did you get samples of the material? I am a month away from replacing my top and haven't settled on a vendor yet.

Did you get samples of the material? I am a month away from replacing my top and haven't settled on a vendor yet.
no I didn't

went to local guys shop that cuts roofs off of the new challengers and makes them convertibles and asked him which was best..

G.) A PACKAGE SPECIAL: Install Pack with Haartz Crush Grain Vinyl Convertible Top with Glass Rear Window

Take pics and keep us posted! I bought a top for my '68 Dart, but still having a hard time convincing myself to try it. Think my mechanism needs a little adjustment too. Pretty sure mine still has the original top. Biggest thing holding me back is I don't want to screw it up and then have to take it in.

OEM rear glass in B'cuda vert was nearly as big as the notchback glass. Aftermarket glass will be a smaller generic piece. Serves the purpose.
I witnessed a few top installs while hanging around at upholstery shop as a kid. Just enough to know I wouldn't attempt it. I can't afford that screw up. Good luck

Just enough to know I wouldn't attempt it. I can't afford that screw up

I love the fact that some people dive head first into this kind of thing and learn. Now Im kind of tempted to try it my self too!

@Dennis Gerard would you measure the new glass and compare it to your OEM glass. I too have heard some manufacturers use a smaller / generic glass for their windows.

looking forward to the results and what went well and what not so much.

I love the fact that some people dive head first into this kind of thing and learn. Now Im kind of tempted to try it my self too!

@Dennis Gerard would you measure the new glass and compare it to your OEM glass. I too have heard some manufacturers use a smaller / generic glass for their windows.

it will be 4-6 weeks before the top is made..

Measure everything and mark the center of the top at the rear bow and front header. It will take you some time, but I am sure you can do it!

None of the manufacturers use the correct glass. I have had one redone with my original glass, but I don't know which company did the job. Some are afraid of it. One of the problems with the Le Baron convertibles was delamination of the rear glass from the vinyl. Every upholstery shop I talked to said that it couldn't be repaired. I used black RTV with the top loosened. Taped it up for a day and they never came apart again.

I have a new oem glass rear window if anybody out there needs one. You would have to do what Jim Lusk did or replace the material with your own

I have just started installing mine from convertible top guys. I did not have the old top. had to rebuild the frame and now have a real project. I am having to do a lot of adjusting since the rear part has got to be right. It would not be too difficult if you have the old top for a pattern. I think I will do O.K. but I did have a 63 nova convert. for 25 years and never drove it on a bad day so seldom had the top up.

20190613_150433.jpg

I had my top done on my 68. I was delayed as he had to get a padding kit for the bows and other areas that get worn on. Don't know if the y sell them for your year or not just throwing it out there.

Did the top myself on my 69 Fury 15 years ago. Never before had seen it done. Mopar Muscle had just ran a how-to article on doing a top on a B body at the time. As stated above, find/mark the center of the bows. Also mark the center of the well opening and the center line of the top and rear curtain. Hardest part was guessing at how tight to stretch it front to rear and getting the sail panels wrinkle free.

Thanks for your reply!
I think I'll start a separate post about my dilemma as I don't want to hijack this thread. Short story is after getting a quote for a new top, and talking with the installer, I came away with the impression that he wants to get the car in and out quickly. Like it's just another late model Mustang.

-
Back