Next time I ***** about the cold, rain, snow

-
I DID learn at some point that "if you are lucky enough" to be -40, you don't need to convert that as it's the same either C or F LOL

Well 40 below is 40 below no matter C or F and 40 above is ruffly 100F or f ing hot or f ing cold

The U.S. was supposed to switch over as well but they changed their minds at the last minute. Yes we use the metric system but if you're buying lumber we still use the standard measurement. But one good think is when we changed over to metric the government paid us guys to buy a new tool box as well for the extra tools required but had to buy the equivalent in tools. So for example, if you bought $400 dollars worth of metric tools they would pay $400 towards a new tool box. I took advantage of that, good deal.
During the changeover it could be very confusing though. I did a lot of trim work so you knew what tools you needed to replace a dash part so you'd get the tools needed and crawl under the dash to find out you needed metric instead of standard. It was a pain in the ***.

In the old days I worked for a big parts place here in town. We sold a full line of auto/ light truck parts, as well as industrial bearings, sprockets and roller chain, and all kinds of belts and sheaves. Ball bearings, we were distributors for Fafnir and Timken, and CR seals, and a few other things. We made hydraulic hoses by the dozens, turned rotors and drums all the way up through logging and semi trucks, and sold and repaired welders and gas products. AND THEN THE BOSS started a fastener's store, in a separate building

One day a Chev dealer line mechanic came in trying to ID a bolt "He knew" it was metric because it had a 10mm head. But the girls down at fasteners could not id it. I looked at it and smelled a rat and sure enough, it was a 10 MM HEAD AND A 1/4" USS THREAD!!!

There are some things I'd just as soon "stay." People think metric is so "standard." Well some of it "ain't." The Japanese products have their favorite thread pitches, the French have theirs and if you try and stock a few bolts that just doesn't work

Pipe/ tube fittings. There IS NO standardization that I can see.

And at my age I'd still just as soon "think" in terms of miles, mph, mpg and not buy "leetrees" of anything.

A little hot.

A208C1E0-10EE-4B95-8DF9-C4BFC94FD1FD.png

There are some things I'd just as soon "stay." People think metric is so "standard." Well some of it "ain't." The Japanese products have their favorite thread pitches, the French have theirs and if you try and stock a few bolts that just doesn't work

Pipe/ tube fittings. There IS NO standardization that I can see.

And at my age I'd still just as soon "think" in terms of miles, mph, mpg and not buy "leetrees" of anything.
Learned that from Yamaha snowmobiles there is metric fine thread metric course and metric yamaha if you need a bolt for your Yamaha go see a dealer. I always thought bearings where made to specific diamentions ie. a 6205 was a 6205 no matter what language u spoke NOT TRUE measure them try get a metric bearing on an imperial shaft. Leads to the question WTF

measure them try get a metric bearing on an imperial shaft. Leads to the question WTF

Actually there are some. We used to have a lot of trouble with this, I don't remember the numbers, but you take something like a 1/2/ 5/8 etc saw arbor, will likely have a metric OD bearing with a standard metric number BUT THE BORE HAS BEEN HONED to fractional. The modified number is then "inked" onto the outer race WHERE IT WILL WEAR OFF

So people would come in, buy a bearing by the number stamped on the shields, and then ruin it or the shaft trying to drive it onto the U.S. shaft

Actually there are some. We used to have a lot of trouble with this, I don't remember the numbers, but you take something like a 1/2/ 5/8 etc saw arbor, will likely have a metric OD bearing with a standard metric number BUT THE BORE HAS BEEN HONED to fractional. The modified number is then "inked" onto the outer race WHERE IT WILL WEAR OFF

So people would come in, buy a bearing by the number stamped on the shields, and then ruin it or the shaft trying to drive it onto the U.S. shaft
Polaris snowmobile USA. Yamaha japan 6205 bearing no fit from one to other same number different measurements. Thousands of in. BUT.

Pipe threads have been standardized for over 70 years and longer. Buy a 3/4'' NPT today and it will screw into a 3/4'' NPT fitting of yesteryear.
Same with nuts and bolts. Model A Fords used standard [inch] hardware in both coarse and fine threads. That's almost 100 years ago. Metric stuff is also standardized, like what you find in a hardware store. But some manufacturers chose a different 'standardized' pitch for their application. And good luck finding a replacement.
The old English cars used something called 'british whitworth' threads. Just stay away!

Ball bearings used in machinery and cars have been mostly metric since the 1940's and longer. Bearings used in old woodworking tools and lawnmowers are usually 'inch bearings' [both ID and OD are finish ground to a specification]. It wouldn't surprise me that Sears or Montgomery Ward would use a combination bearing. In most cases, the number stamped into the side of the race is still valid for a 70 year old bearing. With a set of dial calipers and a conversion chart, you can be a hero.

Last edited:
Pipe threads have been standardized for over 70 years and longer. Buy a 3/4'' NPT today and it will screw into a 3/4'' NPT fitting of yesteryear.

If you are implying that I'm wrong in my post, you did not read it. I'm talking about differences in fasteners and fittings ACROSS DIFFERENT countries and continents.

Fittings from Poland are not necessarily the same as from Germany, or from Japan. Bolts and fasteners from those same countries have their own "favorite" thread pitch, meaning bolts and screws from a French something won't fit any Japanese car

The point is that things are not as "standard" as people think.

Holley traditionally and likely still does use oddball machine threads in their carbs

the number stamped into the side of the race is still valid for a 70 year old bearing. .

No, it is not valid. The number stamped into the side is meaningless when a bearing has been customized to a different size. The "correct" number was commonly inked onto the outer race just as I said earlier

Same with nuts and bolts. Model A Fords used standard [inch] hardware in both coarse and fine threads. That's almost 100 years ago. Metric stuff is also standardized, like what you find in a hardware store. But some manufacturers chose a different 'standardized' pitch for their application. And good luck finding a replacement.
The old English cars used something called 'british whitworth' threads. Just stay away!

Ball bearings used in machinery and cars have been mostly metric since the 1940's and longer. Bearings used in old woodworking tools and lawnmowers are usually 'inch bearings' [both ID and OD are finish ground to a specification]. It wouldn't surprise me that Sears or Montgomery Ward would use a combination bearing. In most cases, the number stamped into the side of the race is still valid for a 70 year old bearing. With a set of dial calipers and a conversion chart, you can be a hero.
Speaking of model A ford this is my other toy
67F2AF27-97D8-40D5-A36C-F3FA3196F150.jpeg

-
Back