No Dash Lights Popping any amperage fuse!! HELP!!

-
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 75' Duster With a 318. Anyway it is popping fuses on the int. lamp circuit. I have no dash lights, but I do have headlights. I have replaced the headlight switch, but it started smoking then popped the fuse again! I tried adding a ground lead from the back of the cluster to the dash frame, but had no luck. I will appreciate any ideas. I guess if it was easy it wouldn't be a Mopar LOL,
Thanks

sounds like you have a hot wire grounding out somewhere, check all your wiring for your lights, best to use a power probe. so that way you can trace wires by sticking it through the insulaton and figuring out where it is grounding out.

There should be a tan wire running from one of the terminals on the headlight switch to the fuse. The other side of that fuse should be at least one orange wire going to the instrument panel lights. Other orange wires might be piggy-backed going to the radio dial light for example. I wouldn't think a new headlight switch would be bad (but ya never know), I'd say either the tan wire or orange wire(s) are shorting out somewhere.

If it's on the int lamp circuit look in the obvious places first. You're probably looking for a lamp with a wire attached that has fallen out and grounding somewhere. Check the radio lamp, console lamp and glove box lamp and associated wiring. You may also check the top of the fuse box (pull it down) to see if anything has fallen on it and shorting to ground. (I had this happen to me). I doubt you have a bad switch. In any case you'll probably need a schematic to follow.

You need a Volt/Ohm meter (VOM) to check the resistance to ground. If you don't have one, go buy one now (they are cheap) before you go any further. Your problem is past the headlight switch on one of the two orange wires tied to the fuse that keeps blowing. Have you done any work to the car recently? You may have pinched a wire, shorting it to ground. The VOM will help you troubleshoot. A factory manual or wiring schematic will also help.

I was having the same issue for a while, no radio in the scamp, turns out the person who ripped it out didnt wrap it or anything, so i hit a bump the right was and it grounded on the dash, blosing the fuse. I think it was a purple wire.

-
Back