No instrument Panel lights (74 Duster)

-

Juan Fuentes

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I noticed that I do not have any instrument panel lights, the radio light works and the dome light turns on when I turn the headlight switch knob all the way to the left until it clicks. The fuses are good and all connections are good. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

If the radio light works AND dims when you turn the knob then that rules out the wiring and headlight switch

The only things left are all the bulbs are burnt out / not making good connection, the wire that feeds the instrument panel lights is damaged or it's connections are not making a good connection, or the ground to the instrument panel is gone.

If the ground to the instrument panel were gone the temp, fuel, oil pressure ( if equiped) gauges would be dead or pegged on high. ( The IVR must have a ground to function and if it does not have one it supplies full battery voltage to the gauges)

The reason the gauges might be dead is they were pegged high so long they burnt out.

I would start by getting a wiring diagram ( mymopay.com) might have one free download or get one from classiccarwiring.com ( best 25.00 I spent.

Then trace out which wire (pink? Orange?) feeds the instrument panel lights.

Then pull the front seat/s and get under there and look for voltage where it's supposed to be.

I am probably wrong here but do your taillights work? Usually, they are on the same fuse though you said you checked them?

If the radio light works AND dims when you turn the knob then that rules out the wiring and headlight switch

The only things left are all the bulbs are burnt out / not making good connection, the wire that feeds the instrument panel lights is damaged or it's connections are not making a good connection, or the ground to the instrument panel is gone.

If the ground to the instrument panel were gone the temp, fuel, oil pressure ( if equiped) gauges would be dead or pegged on high. ( The IVR must have a ground to function and if it does not have one it supplies full battery voltage to the gauges)

The reason the gauges might be dead is they were pegged high so long they burnt out.

I would start by getting a wiring diagram ( mymopay.com) might have one free download or get one from classiccarwiring.com ( best 25.00 I spent.

Then trace out which wire (pink? Orange?) feeds the instrument panel lights.

Then pull the front seat/s and get under there and look for voltage where it's supposed to be
The gauges do work so maybe it is the bulbs, I will replace all of them and clean the sockets that hold the bulbs, hopefully that works. the wiring diagram is a good idea, thank you for that. I will get that.

I will replace all of them and clean the sockets that hold the bulbs

Fyi

There are 2 common sized bulb holders, 5/8" and 1/2" (IIRC) be sure yours are the correct size.

Also the OEM 50+ year old holders many times have one of the plastic ears that hold the holder to the cir board broken, might be missing or might be attached but not applying pressure.

Also do not use sand paper or other abrasive on the contacts or cir board. Use a pencil erasure.

check the pins condition many times the pins on the cir board are broken or loose

-
Back