no power in car

-

72swingerwoman

Reaction score
so i have working headlights, everything else is dead? i looked at the fuses, changed out a rely couldnt find any inline fuses or anything? any ideas would the ignition switch if bad kill everything? been workin on this for days and getting no where... please HELP

There is a fusible link at the bulkhead connector on the firewall but headlights work so that's not the problem.
Brake lights work ? Hazard flashes work ?
Once the power comes inside it branches from a welded splice hidden in the harness, These go to the headlight switch, fuse box, ignition switch, etc..

i have brake lights hazards not an option its like my ignition system is dead. i changed out my water temp sensor and went back inside my car to a dead car.. it was a "wire coil" i call it temp gage so thinking i shorted something out and it was ran by the fuseable link i have no idea about how that works...never knew what it was until i had to research this issue

stereo doesnt even turn on.. just a dead duck in the garage right now.. none of my gauges even pretend to flirt to work...

You have a 72? You can download a free shop manual from this site:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

You can get simplified diagrams from "My Mopar"

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

click on "wiring / electrical"

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=18

and click on "wiring diagrams."

I'd first check at the plug going up the column to the ignition switch. If that is dead, get up into the ammeter connections.

If the headlights work, the fuse link is feeding through the bulkhead, at least "part" of the "in harness splice" is intact, and the ammeter is feeding the headlight switch.

dont understand what the ammeter is? where is it located at? and what does it actually do? trying to figure out how to get the switched changed out.. car is kickin this womans butt this year...

dont understand what the ammeter is? where is it located at? and what does it actually do? trying to figure out how to get the switched changed out.. car is kickin this womans butt this year...

The ammeter is the factory gauge in your dash cluster that says AMPS on it. It measures current in amperes (or amps for short). The ammeter is hooked up in series with all or most of your current draw so everything electrical goes through it in the stock wiring system. If it opens up (bad wire, loose connection, bad gauge etc.) you're dead in the water.

There are certain points on these cars that can be a real PITA

THE FACT that your headlights work (and nothing else?) is important

Refer to the diagram in the 72 manual I hope you downloaded. Page 8-150. (Engine compartment is page 8-147)

On page 8-150, scroll down to the "steering column" There you'll find the connections in the connector going up "into" the column. This is the turn signal switch, and NOT what we are interested in

Scroll down to the next page on 8-151 and again find the "steering column" This time the pictured connector is the one for the ignition switch

The wires are labled by CIRCUIT- SIZE-COLOR

So on the left side of the connector, find wire labled "J1-12R-battery"

This means wire no. "J1", no12 wire size, Red, and it's coming from the BATTERY

Probe this with a meter / test light and see if you have power

If you do, move to the second one down, "Q2-12BK-ACCESSORY. Turn the key to run, and then to "accesssory" and see if this wire is hot in both cases.

If the black is cold all the time, you may have an ignition switch/ switch connector problem

IF the red coming in is bad, this is "complicated," because you have headlights.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page (8-151) and find a big diamond shaped symbol with a "1" in the middle.

THIS IS CALLED the "number one splice" and is a big splice (factory) wrapped right up in the under-dash harness, between the bulkhead connector and the fuse panel/ ignition switch.

Notice the middle right wire, no R6A-12BK. THIS IS THE MAIN POWER coming from the battery or alternator feeding INTO that splice from the ammeter.

Notice the top right L1-16BK. THIS FEEDS off to the headlight switch, and indicates that this splice is at least partially still "together." NOT FUSED

Notice Q3-14R bottom right. This feeds off to the fuses in the panel which are "hot" with the key "off." Check the fuse panel with the key off and see if you can find any power there. If you do, this wire is OK. If not, that splice is BROKEN

Does the horn work? the bottom left wire coming off the splice, H1-16V feeds off to the horn relay. NOT FUSED

The middle left, R6-12BK goes up to the next page and goes to connector "P" on the bulkhead connector. This goes out into the engine bay and goes to the alternator output stud.

The fact that so much does not seem to be working means that you need to do some of these tests to separate the problem into "major parts" so you can narrow it down.

All these old girls are having troubles with the bulkhead connector, it would pay to pull it apart, inspect, and clean the connectors, and examine for burn damage. If damaged, there's a number of ways to deal with the problem from there.

xpyclf.jpg

2ciefc1.jpg

it was the ignition switch.. now to get it to lign up.. ill be all set.. nothing easy this season for this car lady!

its just the key tumbler and electronic ignition i cant get right my accessories come on when they key is on the shutoff position or one click forward... cant figure out how to lign it up right so the key is set right

i did have burn out on the ignition part of the plugs on teh car side the ignition 1 believe its called was black and on the switch side of plug it was pretty burnt up.. still dont know what i hit to have it burn out like that must of hit the fuseable link just right? .... im clueless on it.. lol

In the factory manual link, about page 19-35 I haven't messed with these much

-
Back