no reverse

-

my72dart

Reaction score
i took my 72 dart out. when i left i had reverse! the next day i get in to go for a ride and no reverse.this is a 727 with 3500 stall. reverese is the only thing not working.is it time for a rebuild or is it an e.z fix. :banghead:

Could be something in the Low/Reverse (rear) band circuit. Could be the band itself, L/R band apply hardware and/or servo problems. :yawinkle:

Hope this helps ... post your findings.

Well if you have high gear then the front clutch is working. I'd pull the pan and check the rear band and hardware as Duster346 stated.

thanks for the info. i will look at them. but i have low dosnt reverse work off low. i thout low would be gone too. am i wrong on that. ](*,)

If I am correct, I think low gear will still work due to the sprag even if the band is broken. Could be wrong though.

That is correct, the low/reverse band is not applied in first gear when the shifter is in the Drive position, only when pulled manually into first.

An elements in use chart would look something like this. X = applied

_________________ Rev __ 1st(low) _ 1st(D) _ 2nd __ D

O/R clutch __________________ X _____ X

L/R band ___________ X ______ X

rear clutch __________________ X _____ X ____ X __ X

front clutch _________X _________________________ X

kickdown band ____________________________ X

66dartman said:
If I am correct, I think low gear will still work due to the sprag even if the band is broken. Could be wrong though.

You're correct 66dartman, the sprag will hold 1st gear without the Low/Reverse band applied. :salut:

-
Back