No Spark while Cranking. Engine starts when key is let go.

-

BH27E7

Reaction score
1967 273-4 automatic

I crank the engine over and i get no spark but as i let the key go the engine will start. What is the deal?
I have changed the starter relay and control box but it did not help.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Bad ignition switch, ballast resistor or faulty wiring. There are usually two ignition positions on an ignition switch, start and run, maybe there is something wrong with your start ignition spot on the switch. Check your wiring and make sure its right then consider replacing the switch.

turn your ignition key to "on". you should have voltage at the coil. if not then the ign switch or electric ign box or the ballast is bad. in the "on" position you should have voltage on both sides of the ballast. my pu did the same thing and when i changed the ign box it started fine.

There are two circuits for ignition. One is the normal that goes threw your ballast resistor when the key is in the run position. The other bypasses the resistor block and gives a full 12 volts to the coil to aid for the loss of volts during cranking. This is only on when your key is in the cranking position. First place is to look is the hot wires on the ballast and start tracing the wires. Those should be the two blue wires.

If it's a electronic distributor then the pick up in the distributor is bad, as this is what sends the signal to the coil and the box to fire. This is why the spark only happens when the key first turned and then when released.

If you drop to zero voltage to the ignition system with the switch in the "START" position, it's the switch.

You guys are the best. :toothy10:

All of the info was on target. It was the switch.

I had power at the coil and on both sides of the ballast with the key on but i could not test the voltage by myself with the key turned. I took out the switch and tested for continuity on the bench and i had none with the key turned. I went out and bought a new switch and it fired right up!:cheers:

Thanks Very Much!!!!!!!!:burnout:

Hi guys, I am having problems with my coil there isn't any voltage reading acroos it. I bought a new ECM box and that didn't do the trick. What is an ignition box? What other parts should I by to fix this problem.

-
Back