No spark

-

gkev

Reaction score
OK, we got the new engine in my sons 73 Swinger (complete rebuild of a 318) and have replaced all of the eletronic components except the distributor. We have power to the coil but no spark. We replaced the 5 pin electronic ignition module, the voltage regulator, the coil, new spark plug wires, cap, rotor, the whole shebang. Not real sure why there is no spark.....is there something I'm missing here? Any here would be greatly appreciated. Thanx, Kevin

is there spark out of the coil terminal when cranking?see if there is power on the + side of coil when cranking.could be something simple on the ignition key or power to coil side .i have put battery voltage there during cranking just as a test to try to isolate some things.

Mag pickup in the dist...everyone ALWAYS overlooks it, and assumes its the coil.....if you're contemplating any other type of perf upgrades in the future, I'd go with a digital summit box and throw the factory ballast/box in the trash...but thats just my opinion after a string of bad luck with the factory ignition setup,..but back to original question...the magnetic pickup in the dist would be my guess since u seem to think the box,coil, and everything else is good. probably $16 at auto zone. good luck!

OK, I took your advice and took out the distributer to check the clearance between the pickup coil and the reluctor. The bad news is that 3 of the fins touch the pickup and 5 are way to wide. I'm guessing that sometime during the past 20 years this car has sat someone dropped the distributer and bent the rod....is this possibble? If so I guess our only option is to get a new distributer.....would you buy one from Advanced Auto or go to one of the online specialty sites. Advanced has the rebuilt model for 70 and change. Thanx, Kevin

It may be bent or just worn badly. In any case that is PROBABLY your troubles. Damaged reluctor tips are never a good thing.

When you check your new one, if you have a hand vacuum pump, check with the vacuum advance in/ out. It will change the gap.

if the internals are wobbley to the point the star gear isn't even gapping correctly, best route is probably to replace the entire thing then. you can go the cheap route and get a stock parts store replacement for $40 or get a decent mallory or MSD or summit rebadged dist for around 80-100..again depending on what you use the car for.

-
Back