No VIN pad

-

dustyfool

Reaction score
I recently bought a mopar transmission which has both b and e-body shift mounting locations. When looking for date code info, I discovered that the only info I can find is casting numbers. There is no machined pad where it is supposed to be on the side. Are the vin numbers elsewhere on certain 4-speeds or did certain years not have the vin numbers at all? I was told this was an early seventies transmission. How else can date of manufacture be determined?
Thanks for any help. :scratch:

i had the same issue when i was about to purchase a 74 E body cuda trans.. i couldnt verify what it was as there was no stamp plate, so i left it where it sat. i hope someone can answer this for you and I :wack:

Well, if it has the E body shifter bosses it pretty much has to be a 70 -74 since those were the only years E bodies were produced. There is a casting number in the side cover, just above the reverse shift shaft. About 1/2" inch above the casting number, there is a small date casting. It is upside down and reads month/day/year. This will tell you when the transmission was assembled. You have to decide for yourself whether the side cover has been swapped or not (usually not). Hope this helps.

-
Back