Not for sale, going to fix it up someday.

-

KENTON

Reaction score
I know everyone has a story like this, but here’s mine. About 30 years ago I found a 56 Chrysler sitting in a field. It looked to be in good condition, so I went up to the house and asked if it was for sale? The guy told me he wouldn’t ever sell it, and he was going to fix it up someday. I told him that if he ever changed his mind, I would be willing to pay 800 bucks for it. He turned around and said to his wife, Doris, where’s the title for the Chrysler? Some fool wants to give me 800 bucks for it. I drove it home.

The summer of 94 I inquired about a 69 Fury ragtop under a torn up tarp. The man said it was his dad's car and they were going to restore it. It was last registered in 86. His dad was the original owner and the man I spoke to learned to drive in it. I left my name and number anyway. 5 years later I get a call to come get it if I want to save it. Put a couple of gallons in the tank, check the oil, dumped a little gas down the carb and drove it onto the trailer.
What did I pay for it? Just a 45 min maiden voyage to show him I restored it, as promised.

There was a guy that lived down the street from me in some apartments in the early eighties that had a 71 Barracuda Gran coupe. Engine (383)was out of it and in the living room of the apartment. I asked about buying it and got the not for sale I'm going to fix it story. It sat there for about 8 years and one day it was gone. Found out through a friend the guy went to jail for a long time. Didn't know what happened to the car. A few year ago I walked into a friends bodyshop and there sat the 71. He said he picked it up from the guys wife. After he went to jail she moved into a house a few miles away and the car had sat in the backyard ever since. She called Bob up and asked him to come get it out of the yard as she was tired of it sitting there. He gave her $400 for it because he felt he should give her something for it.

The summer of 94 I inquired about a 69 Fury ragtop under a torn up tarp. The man said it was his dad's car and they were going to restore it. It was last registered in 86. His dad was the original owner and the man I spoke to learned to drive in it. I left my name and number anyway. 5 years later I get a call to come get it if I want to save it. Put a couple of gallons in the tank, check the oil, dumped a little gas down the carb and drove it onto the trailer.
What did I pay for it? Just a 45 min maiden voyage to show him I restored it, as promised.
Great story

Yea, we all know how hard it is to restore a car. You have to be tuff because it is very difficult.

-
Back