OD tranny numbers ID please

-

freakoweirdo

Reaction score
these are the numbers from an OD 833 I am looking at, can anybody tell me what this came from, want to majke sure its not a slant six or truck unit.
from VIN pad on passenger side: 6B380876 then just below that but still on the pad: pp83 5428 or possibly pp63 5428 , cant really tell if thats a 6 or 8
THEN: from drivers side on shifter plate C-99386 ( this is actually printed upside down)
thanks , Neal

Can't help you with the numbers but there is no distinction between a \6 and v8, the same tranny is used in both applications, it's the bellhousing that determines which engine it bolts to.

Also, there is no difference between the A833OD used in light weight pick-ups or vans and those used in B/E body cars.

The difference in trannies is between those for A/F-bodies and those for B/E bodies.

The A/F-body tranny tail housing is shorter than the B/E/truck unit. The way to visually tell without them being side by side is the shifter mounting pad is approximately mid way between the tranny cross member mount and the end of the trannyon the A/F unit. On the B/E/truck unit there are two shifter mounting pads one at the tranny cross member mount and one at the end of the tranny.

If you are looking to put the tranny in an A or F body car and have a long tail shaft unit you can still use it. I have the long tail shaft unit from an 80 pick-up in my 68 Barracuda. You will need to fabricate a mounting plate for the shifter that bolts to the rear mount and positions the shifter forward to the A/F body position and shorten the drive shaft about 3 3/8". Otherwise it's a direct bolt in.

-
Back