od transmission

-

stan marshall

Reaction score
Is a od trans out of 6 cyl as strong as a v8 trans? I have a chance to get a good aluminum for $100. I would use it behind a stock 273 235 hp.
Thanks stan

Thanks for the link. What i really wanted to is the od trans out of a 6 cyl the same as the ones in the v8? Stan

Stan I believe all the OD 883s are the same. They made a iron case version in '75 (I have one) but don't know for sure on other years. They are talked up as being somewhat stronger in the countershaft support area which tends to get oblonged on a well used unit. That can be bushed easily though. If it's in good mechanical shape it will be a nice setup behind that 273. Are you familiar with the ins and outs of the bearing retainer sizes and the bell housing? The OD uses a larger than normal bearing retainer and you need a matching bell housing or one can be reamed to fit very easily by a machine shop. Lots of info in the 4 speed forum on this.

Something else to keep in mind. Be sure the shifter mounting pad on the tailshaft housing is compatable with your vehicle. The ODs came in trucks and vans as well as A bodies. Not sure if they ever where in E's or B's.

-
Back