Odd ignition and electrical problem

-

rich7016

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Valiant , slant 6 with a 3 speed manual , column shift and point ignition. With the wiper switch off , the wipers are on all the time. The only way to shut them off is to disconnect the plug at the wiper motor. Also when you turn the key to off , the engine stays running. The only way to shut the engine off is to let out the clutch with the car in gear , and your foot on the brake , of course. With the engine then off and the ignition switch off the oil light stays on. Anyone have some ideads? Thanks!

You likely either have some wiring hack someone did that is causing some sort of backfeed, or more likely some sort of cross between wires in the harness (such as melted from a previous short) that is causing this.

If you do not have one go to MyMopar.com and download a free service manual. You may have to accept Dodge vs Plymouth, etc.

You likely are going to have to pull the harness out or at least part way, unwrap it and inspect for overheated / melted insulation, etc. Before you do that, get under the dash, and in the engine room, with a light and examine the various connectors for melt and overheating

You likely either have some wiring hack someone did that is causing some sort of backfeed, or more likely some sort of cross between wires in the harness (such as melted from a previous short) that is causing this.

If you do not have one go to MyMopar.com and download a free service manual. You may have to accept Dodge vs Plymouth, etc.

You likely are going to have to pull the harness out or at least part way, unwrap it and inspect for overheated / melted insulation, etc. Before you do that, get under the dash, and in the engine room, with a light and examine the various connectors for melt and overheating
Hi , Thank you. I do have a service manual , and under the dash everything looks alright. So it's likely in the engine compartment wiring. I'll look there tomorrow.

You can not always tell by looking. Some short across wires due to overheating does not always show up on external appearance.

-
Back