offset hanger pinion angle problem

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
I got to comparing parts, and the new shackles are 12" longer than the old ones. also, the offset hangers raise the front eye 1/2" closer to the car.
seems to me this is going to put about 2" less pinion angle in it, but I already checked it before disassembly, and it was 5 degrees, so I used the same angle, but farther inboard, since i'm reusing the same springs

3 degrees is alright for a fast street car, right? i'm figuring it'll run in the high 12s, but will be aspiring for mid 11s sometime in the future....
didn't want to use shims to degree the rear, since the perches are new, and now's when the angle needs to be built in.....

guess I can estimate the height the car normally sits at and lower the bottoms of the springs onto jackstands at the right height. then put the housing on the springs and check it.....

also...the mopar guys at work say i NEED SS springs....I don't want the *** end jacked up because the front end is barely within spec on the caster angle....any more height in the rear and it'll be out....AND i don't want it to sit lop-sided (with even t-bar adjustments)

what will the SS springs do to the pinion angle over stock springs?

i still have to put the battery in the trunk, so that MIGHT help lopsidedness.....

The SS springs will raise the rear up around 2" to 3" inches depending on wich springs you use. Im running 002/003 and With 28" tall tires I have a 2.5" gap on one side and 3" on the other side between the tire and 1/4 panel.

If your looking for new springs I'd look at Espo Springs and things or the Caltrac mono springs.

The springs won't change the angle. It's all in how you weld the perches on to the axle tubes.
I've always heard they should be at 6 deg. That's what I did to my Charger, And it worked fine

green67cuda said:
caltracs/monos are about 600 bucks, right?
600-800 i belive,i havnt looked into them to hard yet but when i get my 8 3/4 back in im going with them an the inboard kit :cheers:

-
Back