Oil drip from exhaust manifold at #1 cylinder

-

jonnyrose

Reaction score
My 360 has been sitting a year and after firing it up, it smoked real bad, after bringing it up to temperature its seems to have stopped smoking but there is a oil drip at #1 cylinder coming from exhaust manifold,could this be head gasket?

My 360 has been sitting a year and after firing it up, it smoked real bad, after bringing it up to temperature its seems to have stopped smoking but there is a oil drip at #1 cylinder coming from exhaust manifold,could this be head gasket?
I'd look close at the valve cover to see if it's running down to the manifold. Just a thought.

Common with valve covers.

Give each bolt a gentle twist to snug them up.

(this just happened with my Fury on the first start of the year)

Magnum heads have a machined valve cover surface and 10 bolts.....wonder why.....

Magnum heads have a machined valve cover surface and 10 bolts.....wonder why.....
To make it idiot-proof because some people can't figure out how to seal up a ******* valve cover gasket.... ?
Straighten the cover, tap out bolt holes flat..
Use cork. Light rtv to cover. Clean surface with brake clean, dont over torque...snug then a 1/4 turn more or about.
1/4 drive ratchet is ideal.

the cork blend McCords suck - made in 4 pieces glued together, they do not hold up. depends on what type of valve cover for type of gasket. and thick cast aluminum covers are very good, with black rubber fel pro gaskets

I like the silicone covered wired gaskets under cast valve covers. Thick enough to clear the intake runners of AL intakes.

Its oil for sure,I'm thinking it's from blow by,its slowing down now

oil drip from exhaust manifold-not blowby. blowby is evidenced by crankcase pressure-do u have a valvecover breather?

My 100 year of experience says it might be a worn exhaust valve guide or bad valve stem seal. Or that cylinder is pumping oil pass the rings.

Last edited:
Yah I think oil passing rings,I just put the motor in out of a truck I bought,don't know much about it,it runs,better than having no motor,gonna run it for the summer if it hold together,

-
Back