oil filter backing plate

-

crewchief

A & P Mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to remove an oil filter backing plate from a fresh built motor due to oil leak at the plate. It was well sealed (gasket used), upon fire up it was leaking at the 11 o'clock position. Stock four hole plate (not a 90 deg) and 75 psi oil pressure. Can't seem to remove it from the block to replace the gasket...any guidance out there would be helpful. Special tool to remove the plate?

Try prying it out with a thin flat screwdriver. It usually works for me. The gasket will need replacing and I always use the Indianhead shlack gasket stuff. It never leaks but is a B to get off.

First of, what part won't come undone? The plate or the threaded stub? If the stub is off already then do what Sedanman said. Or are you having problems getting the threaded stub off? If you are, and this design does not have an internal allen head drive then some creativity with a socket in a lath is needed. Remove the tapered portion of the leading edge of the socket so that it is flat. Once the plate has been removed, using Sedanman's method, check to make sure that the gasket that was used is just the "perimeter" style gasket and not the "3 spoke" style gasket that come in some kits. Also being that you have 75lbs oil pressure, you should be adding 4 more holes between the 4 holes that exist in the plate. They don't have to be as big, just do it!

Last edited:
First of, what part won't come undone? The plate or the threaded stub? If the stub is off already then do what Sedanman said. Or are you having problems getting the threaded stub off? If you are, and this design does not have an internal allen head drive then some creativity with a socket in a lath is needed. Remove the tapered portion of the leading edge of the socket so that it is flat. Once the plate has been removed, using Sedanman's method, check to make sure that the gasket that was used is just the "perimeter" style gasket and not the "3 spoke" style gasket that come in some kits. Also being that you have 75lbs oil pressure, you should be adding 4 more holes between the 4 holes that exist in the plate. They don't have to be as big, just do it!
Thanks for the info, but it's not the threaded part that's the issue. The backing plate is really stuck on the block. I can't get it off and a screw driver doesn't work either. Any other ideas would be very helpful. I did use the 3 spoke gasket not knowing how much oil pressure I was going to have.

Now knowing that you have used the "3 spoke" gasket, this will allow for a bent flat blade screwdriver to get in where the center hole is, hammer in the bent screwdriver, wreck the gasket portion. Should work.

Marvel and a thin pry tool or a pick. Once you get an edge under just Zip around the diameter. As to the leak I'll bet the o-ring is pinched and not seated fully. Easy to do unless you can get eyes360 degrees on it.

Marvel and a thin pry tool or a pick. Once you get an edge under just Zip around the diameter. As to the leak I'll bet the o-ring is pinched and not seated fully. Easy to do unless you can get eyes360 degrees on it.
There is no o-ring in this application

Thanks, got it off using the screw driver thru the center hole, poped right off. Laid the plate on plate glass, only to discover it had a very slight warp to it. Ordered a
Canton Filter Plate with the eight holes already in it along with a "o" ring. Not too sure about an O ring vs single round gasket.

The Canton filter backing plate is a great product, no leaks at 75psi. I would recommend this to anyone that wants more oil thru the filter and back to the motor.

-
Back