Oil filter relocation help

-

M0par

Reaction score
Long story short I bought a short block that is drilled for oil filter relocation like the one in the pic. It was put together but as I was checking all the plugs I noticed the one under the number 5 main cap is not there. Am I correct in thinking that it should still be there to direct the oil to the filter?

IMG_1670.jpeg

Pardon my ignorance but...

Wouldn't an oil filter relocation only move the oil filter to some other location?

The 90deg adapter is a form of oil filter relocation.

Why would anything inside the engine be needed to be touched?

All the kits I have seen have a bolt on adapter that replaced the oil filter or the 90 deg adapter. The one in the photo appears to have a pipe plugs rather than an adapter.

Does that necessitate internal engine modifications?

I’m not certain hence asking the mopar brain trust, but from what I have come to understand from reading a fair amount before posting is the purpose of the 9/16 plug under the #5 main cap is to push oil to the oil filter location. Hence it would still be needed in this application to direct oil to the pipe location to push oil thru the filter. Otherwise from what I have read it would otherwise recirculate oil in the block and not push thru the filter. It was built by a a shop that I guess does a fair amount of mopars which maybe threw me off a bit. But we all make mistakes which is why I asked. I’m not certain I am right. You could absolutely be correct that it does need mods. I couldn’t find the answer anywhere and have not received a call back from the shop and am ready to assemble so thought I would ask.

That plug needs to be there or the oil will not be directed to the oil filter pad on the side of the block.

If you keep the relocated filter, I would add in an oil cooler somewhere. They don't take up much space.

I'm trying to imagine why the filter would need to be relocated in the first place, lol. And Ima thinking, as shown, it's not gonna fit in any A-body I've ever owned.

But yeah, that big cup-plug has to be in there, and good on you for finding it not there! Now you can check the gally plugs.......

I just stuck mine on the firewall. This makes it easier to change.
Agreed on post number seven, putting a cooler inline.

Wouldn't an oil filter relocation only move the oil filter to some other location?
That’s the main idea.
IIts the start of one.
It doesn’t unless there is a need for more than 7 to 7500 rpm.
The MP mod for oiling is well laid out and take you far. Going further is documented here as well. Enlarging all the oil passages as well as smoothing the walls and blending the corners of the turns as well as bushing the lifter bores, limiting oil pathway travels, etc. check for passed on member “Sanborn” and his oil mod thread.
All the kits I have seen have a bolt on adapter that replaced the oil filter or the 90 deg adapter. The one in the photo appears to have a pipe plugs rather than an adapter.
This is the way races do it in years passed before “Oil filter relocation kits” were available.
No

I'm trying to imagine why the filter would need to be relocated in the first place, lol.
It really doesn’t. But it has its pros and cons.
And Ima thinking, as shown, it's not gonna fit in any A-body I've ever owned.
Possibly only due to the length of oil line available as pictured.
But yeah, that big cup-plug has to be in there, and good on you for finding it not there! Now you can check the gally plugs.......
Check it all out!!!!

I just stuck mine on the firewall. This makes it easier to change.
Agreed on post number seven, putting a cooler inline.
A cooler is a plus for sure but also another spot for leaks and seepage. The one draw back that annoys me, a lot.

sounds like all the plugs were removed at the machine shop for cleaning the galleries (good practice) and not all of them got refitted. as mentioned above the op needs to check all the others are there too.
neil.

-
Back