Oil pump standpipe lengths

-

TylerW

Reaction score
I would like to know the exact lengths of the two standpipes used in production slant oil pumps before and after the changeover date in the early 70's from the long to the short.

The parts book says the changeover date was for the 1971 model year. A TSB issued 2-23-72 refers to short oil filter able to be used on 170,198,225 engines built prior to 1971 if the standpipe is changed to the short version. I have a '71 and '72 engine with same length standpipes.

Please, no random posts about best oil filters, best oil, things you thought you remembered. The two measurements will be appreciated.

Thanks.

That's a good question and one I cannot answer. @slantsixdan can though. I tagged him so maybe he will chime in.

Nope, can't provide dimensions. The longer one is roughly 3"; the shorter about 2", counting from where the pipe is pressed into the threaded fitting.

My drawing and probably my measurements from the standpipe on the right in the photo.
1724023292171.png

1724023406747.png

Are these even needed anymore? The pump my buddy put in my 225 build had on with no standoff.

Are these even needed anymore? The pump my buddy put in my 225 build had on with no standoff.
As long as You're using a quality filter w/an integral anti-drainback, no, they're not.

I knocked mine off because I used a Ford Motorsport 90 degree oil filter adapter and laid the filter down. The bottom of the filter is lower than horizontal, so the filter will not drain back. Plus, this gives room to run the FL299 2 quart oil filter. But no, the stand pipe isn't needed as long as you use a filter with a good anti drain back valve. That said, I don't know of any filter with a drain back valve so good that it stops drain back from an upside down filter. lol

Last edited:
The standpipe and the filter's antidrainback valve do two different jobs. The filter's ADBV stops oil draining into the path upstream of the filter; the standpipe stops oil draining into the path downstream of the filter. They work together to keep the filter full after engine shutdown. Of the two, the ADBV is more important because the upstream path (oil pump --> pickup tube --> pan) is much freer than the downstream path (bearing clearances measured in thousandths of an inch, etc).

This '62 TSB describes the first revision to the Slant-6 oil pump in this area: a standpipe in the oil filter adapter. No valve in it; that was added in '63ish. I prefer the standpipe without the valve, because it is less restrictive and it is problem-proof. The valve can keep more oil in the filter, all the way up to the top, while the plain standpipe maintains oil "only" up to the top of the pipe, but c'mon.

I've thought of making real nice new large-bore, low-restriction filter adapter/standpipes out of machined bronze or something.

Attachments

• 62 Dodge TSB 79.pdf
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 21
-
Back