OK, let's see ya top THIS story..............

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Dan Parker: "I'm not a blind man trying to race, I'm a racer who went blind"

Lets hope he does not take up street racing. That could be interesting.

Was working at a truck wash facility that washes out tankers and failed my osha inspection for not having a handicap Mens room sign that was in braille.
I asked them, so if a handicapped, blind truck driver pulls in, he can find the bathroom.
I ended up putting that sign up but I guess, you never know... Lol

I used to be friends (haven't talked or seen him in awhile) a blind radio amateur in Yakima. He was blinded in a car accident, so had "some knowledge" of the visual world. I once bought an RF linear amplifier he had built. Only obvious "duh" was one meter had the mounting screws rotated a bit off level. You could not see that without "getting close". This was a build as we used to say, "junk box" parts so some of it was not optimum. But this was a SERIOUS project. 4' tall rolling rack panel, Great Big old plate transformer, and a 4-1000A tube. "Back in the day" those were nothing to sneeze at. That tube can run upwards of 4000 volts on the anode (maximum 6000V) and output power of around 3500 watts depending on purpose and configuration.

He was once hassled by the police because the neighbors were concerned and called the PD about him climbing his tower......at night.

Example of a 4x1 RF deck. That tube is nearly 10" tall. The outer piece is a 'chimney' through which cooling air is blown

4by1000.JPG

Last edited:
How'd he tune it without reading the meters or watching the plate color? ;)

My homebrew 4x 4-125A amp doesn't even look that good, and I'm only blind without my glasses!

amplifier1.JPG

There are audio driven devices to indicate off resonance and other factors, some of which he built. This old girl was fairly bulletproof. It was 'grounded grid' with no screen voltage so it took a LOT of drive, and did not run all that much plate voltage, I think maybe 3500? You probably could not hurt it much

How do you keep those tubes healthy with no base cooling? They are supposed to be forced air at least for the bases

Last edited:
-
Back