Old rusted wiring connections

-

73Charger318

Member Rt 66 Mopar Club
Reaction score
Any tips on removing the old harness from these connections that go to the front parking lights? 1965 Barracuda. I've nearly destroyed one of them and it wont come out. Not concerned about the 60 yr old harness, it's going to the trash, but trying not to mess up the connector. One of the lights is dim, one doesn't come on at all, and I'm sure it's the rust and corrosion in these connections. Am I better off cutting off the old connector and crimping in a new one? If so, a link to the correct spade connector would be awesome. Thanks.

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

Just cut it off with maybe 1/2 sticking out and then get it apart and redo the terminals. They are called Packard (we used to call them Packard 56, but that may not be quite right. Look up some of Mattox posts he had a thread on these and where to get them. A couple of the places I bought mine are no longer, or have merged, changed name, etc

As my elder memory serves most older spades
are .110 or .155 (maybe .165). I am at the races and
do not have them at hand.

Just cut it off with maybe 1/2 sticking out and then get it apart and redo the terminals. They are called Packard (we used to call them Packard 56, but that may not be quite right. Look up some of Mattox posts he had a thread on these and where to get them. A couple of the places I bought mine are no longer, or have merged, changed name, etc
Just FYI it is Mattax not Mattox, but I found the posts. Very informative. Initially I was only looking for advice in removing the connector, so I could just plug the new harness in, not removing terminals. Now I'll look at removing the terminals and redo them like you mentioned doing. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just FYI it is Mattax not Mattox, but I found the posts. Very informative. Initially I was only looking for advice in removing the connector, so I could just plug the new harness in, not removing terminals. Not I'll look at removing the terminals and redo them like you mentioned doing. Thanks.
LOL he's lucky I didn't call him Mannix. (Old TV detective series, with Mike Conners)

If you are replacing your harnesses with new, why are you worried about dinking around with removing the old ones?

He's probably not replacing the park lamps, so, doesn't want to damage the connector.
Correct. Plan is not to replace park lamps, only replacing the engine forward harness. If it was all being replaced I would just take it all out! lol

-
Back