Old School car meet and drag racing

-
Classic snapshot from the past, but waaay too much F#*kin' around for Me on a well traveled public road in the middle of the day, just askin' for a variety of problems not
related to the actual racing........... not that I haven't been, but I wouldn't have made a repeat appearance.............................

That Chevelle got tore up! We did some stupid stuff too but never wrecked anything. The majority of us when on to race some really quick stuff once we had the money to make it happen. The quickest guy on the street was a guy named Bob with a red '68 427 Camaro and a nitrous bottle. We ran very near to where Alan Johnson (famous NHRA crew chief and manufacturer now) had his dairy in Santa Maria, California. The cops left us alone for the most part.

My guess is the guy in the Chevelle was a little intoxicated.
And that old 3-wheeler looked actually pretty fast.

And that old 3-wheeler looked actually pretty fast.
Right!!! Now THAT'S downright dangerous! LOL!! He had to hang on to it when He started nudging over when He saw the oncoming traffic,............

Right!!! Now THAT'S downright dangerous! LOL!! He had to hang on to it when He started nudging over when He saw the oncoming traffic,............
My grandparents bought me one of those suicide machines when I was a kid, it busted me up more than one time.

My grandparents bought me one of those suicide machines when I was a kid, it busted me up more than one time.
Well, thankfully You survived it, I wouldn't have wanted to see that Guy do the ol' "tumble and roll" on the tarmac at that speed....what was He wearing again??!!

Back in the day, we used to go to the legendary Front Street in Philly for the street races. On a good night, there were over 100 cars and a thousand spectators. Philly cops would swarm and try to shut it down...but they never stopped it.

John Eddie and the Front Street Runners took their name from the place. The drum beat in the hit song “Jungle Boy” was said to have been inspired by the lope of an engine the drummer heard one night at the street races.

Definately alcohol fueled!
Wonder where the location was?
Maybe Washington or Colorado?

Way too much traffic for me.

That Chevelle got tore up! We did some stupid stuff too but never wrecked anything. The majority of us when on to race some really quick stuff once we had the money to make it happen. The quickest guy on the street was a guy named Bob with a red '68 427 Camaro and a nitrous bottle. We ran very near to where Alan Johnson (famous NHRA crew chief and manufacturer now) had his dairy in Santa Maria, California. The cops left us alone for the most part.

From Hippie turn east bound? Or Fugler's point west bound? :rofl:Any closer and you would have woke up Everett Johnson :rofl:

The location was hwy#4 called 2nd bridge on the way to Tofino B.C. About 15 miles out side Port Alberni B.C. Did anybody see the stubby beer bottles , Larry was not drinking that day ,he sneezed in the middle of a donut went into the gravel caught the edge of the hwy, hooked and ended up where you see the car ,he now after many years he has a show winning 67 same colour , same car really just nicer .

Ok so the ford pu pulling the Chevy out of the ditch ,the driver of the truck appeared on Monster garage with Jessy James many years later small world !

From Hippie turn east bound? Or Fugler's point west bound? :rofl:Any closer and you would have woke up Everett Johnson :rofl:

It's been 30 years and I cannot remember the road names but I do remember another spot we ran at by Union Sugar west of Santa Maria if that rings a bell? This was in the early 80's.

Just past Union Sugar? In the broccoli fields behind that big pile of material that Union Sugar generated processing sugar beets and making sugar for the masses? Sound Barrier on one side, nothing but broccoli and wilderness all the way to the beach on the other. It would have been one of my choices for such illicit activities :rofl:It took me a couple of years to figure out why it smelled like baked potatoes all over town a couple times during the year when I first moved up here. The light bulb finally went on one day :BangHead: Union Sugar cooking sugar beets. Alas, Union Sugar has been empty for years now :( What's a couple hundred jobs in the valley, small pittance in the corporate scheme of life.

Just past Union Sugar? In the broccoli fields behind that big pile of material that Union Sugar generated processing sugar beets and making sugar for the masses? Sound Barrier on one side, nothing but broccoli and wilderness all the way to the beach on the other. It would have been one of my choices for such illicit activities :rofl:It took me a couple of years to figure out why it smelled like baked potatoes all over town a couple times during the year when I first moved up here. The light bulb finally went on one day :BangHead: Union Sugar cooking sugar beets. Alas, Union Sugar has been empty for years now :( What's a couple hundred jobs in the valley, small pittance in the corporate scheme of life.

It sure did stink! Of course, so does Famoso with the potash and all the flies LOL. Do you remember that speed shop on West Main street not far from Broadway? It was on the right hand side of Main. That place was my weekend hangout. Maybe it was called The Parts House? I know there was one in San Luis Obispo where I bought a lot of parts called that. You ever do the car shows at the Pismo pier? I heard they still have those!

Back in the day, we used to go to the legendary Front Street in Philly for the street races. On a good night, there were over 100 cars and a thousand spectators. Philly cops would swarm and try to shut it down...but they never stopped it.

John Eddie and the Front Street Runners took their name from the place. The drum beat in the hit song “Jungle Boy” was said to have been inspired by the lope of an engine the drummer heard one night at the street races.

Grew up in Philly. We would go there once in a while. We didn't race, so we almost always took something that didn't attract attention, so we could "disappear" more easily. (One friend would take his bosses' tow truck.)
Just once, we stopped by while cruising in my 70 Challenger R/T. My buddy was driving, and he goosed it when the cops came and scattered us. Bad idea. He got a wreckless driving ticket. He got more tickets in that car than I did. lol

Thanks for the John Eddie flashback. Jungle Boy still sounds good.

I didn't hear any stick shifts on that video. That makes me think, auto trans were really pushed by the magazines then!

That was expensive to film back then. Good foresight by whoever did it originally, and whoever made it digital.

Cool.

It sure did stink! Of course, so does Famoso with the potash and all the flies LOL. Do you remember that speed shop on West Main street not far from Broadway? It was on the right hand side of Main. That place was my weekend hangout. Maybe it was called The Parts House? I know there was one in San Luis Obispo where I bought a lot of parts called that. You ever do the car shows at the Pismo pier? I heard they still have those!

The Father's Day Pismo Car Show is still a huge event. It pretty much takes up all of Pismo, Hwy 1 is about the only through street left open. They promoters do have a new challenge, the big parking lot down by the pier is no more. Seems it was sold to a hotel. Eliminated most of the off street parking with it's construction. I made a few visits to that shop, at the time I was still in my off roading mode and disposable income went to the dune buggies. It was a lot easier to justify because the new bride had fun at it also. March Meet Famoso is right around the corner :thumbsup:

Did you have a more door with the windows blacked out and some serious thump and live in Tanglewood?

No, I had a '72 RS/SS that was gold with a built small block, 4 speed and 12 bolt with 4.56 gears.

I was questioning a friend of mine John, a native of the valley. He said the only Mopar guy you didn't want to mess with drove the more door for play and in his garage in Tanglewood he kept the 68/69 Barracuda ragtop hemi car. He used to hang out with that Blaine Johnson kid all the time. I know Blaine had his Corvette coupe, I think John had a big block El Camino.

-
Back