one more reason FABO is wicked.

-

rabius75

Reaction score
in another thread, somebody asked if his car was an A-body, and said they knew it was a dumb question...

Welcome.

And there is no such thing as a dumb question. If you dont know, you dont know. How would you ever learn if you were afraid to ask?

So dont be afraid to ask.

i am so glad the majority of the users here are mature adults. I quit frequenting a lot of different message boards because of immaturity and flaming responses calling people dumb and telling them to Search before they open their mouths... while searching is a must before asking a common question that has been answered many times, there are polite ways to say so :)
not to say im a mature adult at 22, but i don't try to drag anybody down on the internet, i realize its worthless.

lets hear it for easy going gearheads and a very informative website.

I am 51 years old, and the extent of my automotive experience, prior to Aaron and me starting his '74 Dart Sport rebuild a few years ago, consisted primarily of the typical maintenance functions of owning a vehicle - oil changes, water pumps, fuel pumps, fuel filters, radiator hoses, and spark plugs. As a matter of fact, when we rebuilt the Dart's slant six, it was honestly the very first time I had actually seen the inside of an engine in person.

I can say, with all modesty, that I am gifted with a critically thinking and mechanically inclined mind. No brag, just fact. I can think in 3D, visualize solutions, analyze how things work, and figure out how to fix them. However, that being said, I admit that I am mostly self-taught, primarily through lots of reading and taking things apart to see what makes them tick.

My philosophy is pretty much like the old addages:
"Never up, never in"
"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
"No pain, no gain"

My dad was a truck driver, working in the oil fields, until he was killed in a job-related accident when I was only nine years old. Growing up, I never had anyone to teach me about cars and auto mechanics. As you can guess, I grew up through the heydays of muscle cars in the 60s and 70s, but I didn't really appreciate it at the time. I didn't spend my afternoons under a shade tree pulling engines or my evenings under a car with a drop light installing glass packs (wait, yes, I did do that one).

Now that I have been working on Aaron's Dart, and now his '74 Duster, I have learned a great deal about this wonderful hobby of ours. It's a shame that I had to wait until I was almost 50 years old to discover this. I envy those of you who had the advantage of growing up with grandads, dads, uncles, brothers, and buddies to learn from over the years. Even more so with you guys who have had formal training and jobs in the auto industry.

What I really mean to say with all of this diatribe is that I try to do what I can on my own, when I can, and I make plenty of mistakes along the way, but, I really want to say "thank you" to those of you who do take the time to help those of us who are not so knowledgeable. I will do whatever I can to explain (or illustrate with photos) anything that I am familiar with or that I definitely know from my own experience. I won't make claims to know something I really don't, and I won't tolerate those who ridicule or belittle someone for asking questions about something they want to learn. All I do ask is that a reasonable amount of self-study is done to at least ask intelligent questions. There is waaaaayyy too much information on the internet for someone not to have at least a working knowledge of the subject, and I have put together a decent sized shelf full of repair manuals, how-to books, and parts catalogs.

Sorry to get so long-winded, but I thought this thread would be a great way to thank you guys for all your help over these several years, as well as lend a little encouragement to those "young guns" who are the new breed to carry on our beloved hobby.

Thanks for listening (reading),
Jerry

Yep........Love it here.

Keep askin' the questions. (and I will too.......no matter how stupid it seems).

in another thread, somebody asked if his car was an A-body, and said they knew it was a dumb question...

i am so glad the majority of the users here are mature adults. I quit frequenting a lot of different message boards because of immaturity and flaming responses calling people dumb and telling them to Search before they open their mouths... while searching is a must before asking a common question that has been answered many times, there are polite ways to say so :)
not to say im a mature adult at 22, but i don't try to drag anybody down on the internet, i realize its worthless.

lets hear it for easy going gearheads and a very informative website.
I agree, I have not seen a smart alec reply on here yet. I too have stopped using some other forum sights for that very reason. I have seen younger people and older people that have never ran across the problems they have and need and answer. I am proud to be a FABO member.

I love it here. When someone would tell me to go "serch for it" over at dodgetalk after I ask a question, I would usally reply with: Well if I wanted to serch for it, I wouldnt have asked the question in the first place!

I dont get that here. Just good info, & good answers!!

FABO ROCKS!!!!

There is no reason to ridicule people for asking questions; the only people who do that are the ones that feel insecure about their own intelligence.

This is a great site with a lot of good people willing to share their knowledge without berating the novices.:cheers: Like mey6t6 said, there`s no benefit in ridiculing those who are just trying to learn. I`ve even thought about doing a series of threads for beginners , for example: BRAKES 101- A thread that would walk people through brake shoe or disc pad replacement, wheel cylinder replacement, master cylinder replacement, etc., and do it with detailed pictures and play by play instructions and descriptions. A lot of topics could be covered like suspensions, tune ups, carbs and so on. It would take a lot of time to complete (which I don`t have now) but it`s something I`d like to do one day.

That is one reason I enjoy this site. I posted a question about date coded blocks on another site. I caught some flack over it, but I learned alot with those people that helped. I almost posted it here first but was a idiot and posted it on the other site. I love to learn I enjoy being aroung others that love to learn also.

I come here mostly to try to answer questions that someone may have as well as to post a few questions of my own. Some are simple and some take 500 word essay to answer as sometimes there are no simple answers to a seemingly simple question.

Those that feel that they know it all are the only stupid ones. Those that are willing to take a risk and ask are the ones on the road to knowledge. Becoming more profficeint in any field is like climbing up a ladder. Every step taken reveals new sights and those new experiences lead to more questions. The difference between a real ladder and the ladder of knowledge is that the ladder of knowledge has no end.

Every day I sidestep on to another ladder (field of knowledge) and try to learn enough to take another step, wether it be automotive, my profession as a systems engineer, dog training and behavior :), BBQ, basic carpentry and just trying to be a good person.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, lol! But I guess my real point is that lots of Mopar guys and gals are true thinkers and I enjoy their company here and in real life as I have met a couple outside of the cyberworld and so far, they have been true to their posts. This is great place for all of us to get together share knowledge without the "better than you" and clique mentality of some sites.

Sure, some people get banned and we joke around, just like if you asked us into your garage to help you with a problem. We are Mopar people and some beer will be drank and jokes told and people kidded but it's all good natured. The ocasional a-hole will be berated then thrown out, just as you'd do in your own garage. The mods here are very easy going but they are also good at tossing out the trash.

So, in conclusion there are two things that make this site great:

1: The mods

2: The people

Crap, I just got a call, my buddies ex-wife died, gotta go.......

SO well put ramcharger. I never could have penned many of those same candid thoughts into words like you did...........

FABO is a great forum and I'm happy I joined. 8)

The more people learn about their car the more they will like it. This is a great place. Too bad we can't put on a large "A" body show somewhere.

this is the spot to be . just because of the info from all the members better than any book store it all comes with pics and more ha ha !

The only thing wrong with this site is It's addicting I can't go a day without seeing what everybody's up to and how many new people we got.
Like others have stated this site is better than any school you could attend, real world answers and pics to boot
A big thanks to all who have helped me with answers.
Bruce

I do like this site for the fact that we keep things simple. There are always new people stopping in here and I even forget some of the basic facts and knowledge about our cars that I once knew. I was just over on the other site and every post I read had people bickering back and forth and being rude. I was not in the mood for that this morning.

I learned a long a long time ago breaking into the computer industry there are no stupid questions just the ones you were to afraid to ask so you didn't ask!

I have asked many along the way and answered any i could to help others, thats what keeps this site going. People here are always willing to help and the knowledge on here is second to none, as are the people as I found out after having a severe stroke at 41 years old which I am still trying to recover from. So i will have to ask some questions again as my memory isn't what it used to be, but I will not hesitate to ask as I know the answer will not belittle me for not being a mopar genius, thanks so much for the help so far everyone greatly appreciated....Marvin Peacock

I'll have to agree with everyone here. So much that this weekend at MMW we hammered the name FABO home pretty good. Passed out a bunch of my cards with the website on the back and bragged on all of you guys. You know the big ears and short who hahs and all....you know....just braggin on you guys. This joint is definatly TOPS.

-
Back